Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current AX15 (internal slave) appears to be toast. I have an opportunity to pick up another AX15 (external slave) that came out of a 2 wheel drive, 1998 Cherokee. What all is involved with making this 2wd version work in my 4wd?

Also, what components do I need again to swap from internal to external slave?

I've been searching my arse off looking for the answers but well.......:banghead:

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
The AX-15's bellhousing is removable.... It's very possible that you could retain your 4wd AX-15 but use the bellhousing from the 2wd AX-15 with the external slave setup... You'll have to switch over the throwout bearing retainer as well from the 2wd unit...... I'm not 100% on this but I don't see why it couldn't be done.... Hope this helps..

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should clarify, my entire TRANS is toast (not just the slave cylinder) I want to use the 2wd trans to replace my 4wd trans. I need to know what all is involved for this AND changing over to the external slave.

Sorry about not being clear! :redface:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ah gotcha... Yeah i read it as just the internal slave itself was toast...

On that note, I don't believe it can be down without swapping out cases, output shafts and what not.... Hopefully others will shed some light on this... Good luck

·
Registered
248 Posts
You can just take the guts out of the 2 wheel AX15 and rebuild your AX15. If both had the same engine, then just swap bellhousing and input bearing retainer shaft. Any more ? just ask

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just replaced the tranny in my sons 91 with a used tranny which is newer. Bought off ebay so I don't know what year it came out of. I know it's newer than a 91 because the input shaft is bigger. Check out this link. It's from the place that I bought the correct input shaft bushing.

The AX15 Transmission - Novak Conversions

Also, the 4wd selector will be out of place because on the newer trannies, the mount is about a half inch longer on the tranny case. So, for now, he is stuck in two wheel drive.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well so much for keeping this cheap and easy. Looks like I need a similar year trans out of a 4x4. To bad I have really no idea what year (or type of Jeep) it came out of.

BUMMER!!!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey stinkymud, I have the tranny out of our 91 that may only need the syncro replaced-IE no third gear. I'm in Barrington. It's yours if you want to rebuild it. PM me.

Also, you may want to find the bell housing off a 94-95 tranny so you can upgrade to an external slave.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey stinkymud, i have the tranny out of our 91 that may only need the syncro replaced-ie no third gear. I'm in barrington. It's yours if you want to rebuild it. Pm me.

Also, you may want to find the bell housing off a 94-95 tranny so you can upgrade to an external slave.
pm sent!!!!!!!!!!!! :d

1 - 9 of 9 Posts