Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 89 has a 4.2 I’ve already installed the external slave setup. All I need now is to install the trans. Everything else has been done What all do I need to put the AX15 into it. I have a 95 AX15 with t case and bell house from an old 4.0 Jeep Wrangler. Do I need an adapter?

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
As far as I know, the AX15 has an early and late pilot bearing. You'll need a pilot bearing (or bushing) that fits the AX15 that you plan on installing. It's always a good idea to replace the pilot bearing anyhow, whenever you have the transmission out.
If you have the external slave bell housing, all that you need to do is bolt your AX15 to it.
As far as I know, the BA10 and the AX15 transmissions are interchangeable except for the pilot bearing and the external slave AX15 uses a longer front seal retainer that should have come with your internal to external slave cylinder kit.

If you're using an AX15 from a Cherokee (XJ) you'll need to "clock" the rear of the transmission so that your transfer case won't hit the tub.
"Clocking" the transmission includes using a jig to drill new holes at about 15* from where the Cherokee transfer case bolts. It sounds like that won't be an issue with your trans/TC from a Wrangler.

Other more knowledgeable posters may have more to add or may even contradict what I state above. I'm planning to do the same swap later this year, so I've done some research and have the AX15 trans to install but haven't bought the external slave parts yet.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I bought the peddle assembly and clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder from a guy. It def works in the sense the system was never cut open. However the engine is out getting rebuilt, and my local pick and pull said they can get me a renamed AX15 with bell house if for 1100. Is that a good deal?

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Not sure if you already have new clutch installed from your post, but the factory parts list calls for different clutch and pressure plates. between '89 and '95 models.

Looked up on autozone and they are different part numbers

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
Well I bought the peddle assembly and clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder from a guy. It def works in the sense the system was never cut open. However the engine is out getting rebuilt, and my local pick and pull said they can get me a renamed AX15 with bell house if for 1100. Is that a good deal?
it doesn't seem like a good deal for you. In your first post you state that you already have an AX15 transmission. All you need is the bell housing and the rest of the clutch parts.
Will your local pick & pull make the deal without selling you the transmission.

Check out Advanced Adapters. You may need to call them and describe what you have and what you want to do, rather that wade through their website.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked to them this morning and they said they can sell me the clutch fork n shit for 280.
Went online and found a new clutch kit with throw out bear ring and fork and clutch for 210
https://www.quadratec.com/p/crown-automotive/clutch-master-kit-yj-tj-cherokee-xj-grand-cherokee-TXYZ9499S. The only reason I was thinking of the renamed is because every trans shop around me want 900+ to do a rebuild. And I would honestly rather install it rebuilt now then something happen 6 months down the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts