Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to figure out how to separate the upper and lower parts of my shifter. Separating the extended shaft from its base that connects to the trans itself. (The picture shows the point that I am talking about). I just got a new ax15 trans and I need to swap the old upper shifter to the new trans (it has a new base plate already attached to it). Also on a side note, the "warning" in the box stated that I must use 10w30 for the trans. Is this the correct fluid? I thought it was 75w90 (synthetic fluid) for the ax15. Thank you for all the help in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Can't help you with the shifter, but the 10w30 is correct. It's my understanding 75w90 gear lube and 10w30 motor oil are approximately the same viscosity due to differences in the way they're graded. I used Mobil 1 in mine and it shifts great.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
s14sh3r said:
Can't help you with the shifter, but the 10w30 is correct. It's my understanding 75w90 gear lube and 10w30 motor oil are approximately the same viscosity due to differences in the way they're graded. I used Mobil 1 in mine and it shifts great.
Thanks for your input man, I hope a few more people chime in with more useful information!

·
Registered
496 Posts
redline mt90 is a good tranny fluid.make sure you don't use the wrong kind or you will corrode the syncronizers that are made of brass,Jerry usually chimes in on this stuff but you can run a search on the forum and all the info you need on your fluid. good luck and sorry for getting your hopes up when you see a million replies to this thread and they are all by me

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
redline mt90 is a good tranny fluid.make sure you don't use the wrong kind or you will corrode the syncronizers that are made of brass,Jerry usually chimes in on this stuff but you can run a search on the forum and all the info you need on your fluid. good luck and sorry for getting your hopes up when you see a million replies to this thread and they are all by me
GL-5 is what you want to stay away from. The factory service manuals originally called for GL-5 but they revised it. GL-5 has a higher sulfur content and it will hurt the synchronizes like Leeroy said.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
10/30 synthetic is what I run and what Aisin now recommends.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Leeroy Jeepkins said:
I didn't see him taking apart the section I am referencing yet, I just kind of skipped around because I didn't have the time to sit down and watch it all. I'm gunna go buy some new synthetic oil for the transmission. If I'm unable to find out how to separate them, I'm just going to use the whole old set up and throw it on the new tranny. We will see. If I am able to get them separated ill post how I did it. Haha

·
Registered
583 Posts
10 30 synthetic, 2 years after rebuilt and shes still fine. I use motorcraft engine oil its 10 30 and synthetic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts