Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a transmission for my jeep. 92 yj. But, is their another type of transmission I could get like from a cherokee? If so what year, make, model?

I have found one in my town but the guy is very firm on the price and for the 475 he is asking I just feel it is too much for the mileage it has (141,000) from a yj.

Any info would be great. My gears our shot in mine and it is kicking out in 1,3,4 gears. It's a stick shift. Don't want to rebuild.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
I bought my AX15 brand new from Advance Adapters and it ran $1200. How much would some one charge to rebuild that unit already out of the jeep? It may be very much worth it, but remember you need a new bellhousing and a different input drive on your NP231 transfer case. Your OEM transfer case will not fit into the AX15 without swapping that out.

Take care,

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You can use any AX15 from a cherokee; my suggestion would be to get the entire package. Makes it a bit easier with everything from the bell housing to the TC; if you get one that is an external slave, get the master and lines as well. You may need to re-clock the TC and get a new clutch disk, but mostly its that easy.

My opinion, $475 is too much, but it also depends on what is available around there. Do a search and you will find that you can also get an AX15 out of a dodge dakota, forget the specifics for that though.

I got mine with the bell housing, and TC for $200, with about 200k on the clock.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Prices will vary based on location obviously, the junkyards around here that sell them from Wranglers (they cornered the market on Wranglers) want 850 in as-is condition. But in the self service junkyard (where they have then in cherokees and Dakotas) they go for 60.. I've got 6 of them right now in my friends garage, I sell them for 500 on craigs, and just sold an external slave with only 57K on it for 850 (100 extra for holding onto it for a few weeks)

The cherokee and Dakota versions have the t case clocked down further than a wrangler though, 10° on the cherokee, and I'm not exactly sure how different the Dakotas are clocked.. All it requires is drilling new holes in the tail end of the transmission housing.

The Dakotas have a different bellhousing and need to be replaced, they are also external slave which means the front bearing retainer plate needs to be swapped if you're going with an internal slave bellhousing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts