Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a used ax15 from a 94 wrangler,my question is should you be able to go through the gears with it sitting on the floor??

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Yes you should, although it should be a little challenging. If you sit in your Jeep with it off on a flat surface, you can quite easily go through the gears. You have a lot more leverage with the shifter. Say you have one foot of leverage, and the gear shifter is three feet of leverage. That means you should have to try three times harder with it sitting on the floor.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Post a picture of it. Also, there may not be any fluid in it. I remember being at a car show and hardly being able to shift a transmission that was on display.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
technically the syncromesh is meant to keep the gears in sync so the gears always match and mesh if you hold the clutch. In actual practice with any 10 years old vehicle things get a bit worn. Nothing ever works as well on an old Jeep as it does on a new one.

What counts is how does it drive. Once all warmed up does it catch/grind gears? If so a rebuild might resolve that issue BUT there are always ways to drive it just fine without spending $2K. I'd never spend that kind of coin. Just learn how to work with it. An odd double clutch, a bit of hesitation as you go thru the gears.

You can go broke real fast trying to make an old Jeep run like it did new. Or just buy a new Wrangler. New JKs start at $24K.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was just tryin to save the hassel of puttin it in and it not workin and then taking it out to sent to a shop..the guy i bought it from had it rebuilt in dec. of 2012 he said it always worked fine then i get it and cant get it to work..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Syncros work when they are spinning. If the transmission is not turning you will likely hang up on some gears (most likely the high gears) while just trying to run through the gears on the floor try having someone turn the input shaft while doing it and see if it makes a difference. The suggestion that the transmission wont shift well if there is no lube makes sense too. If it has sat for a while the parts could be a little dry try turning upside down a little and move the gear oil around then turn the shaft and try each gear at a time while turning the shaft. If it seems to work better will probably be fine. Bob Harrison

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
How much trouble is it to bolt the trans up to the bell housing and then install the shifter and try it? If you support the trans, you can even start the engine to get the syncros spinning.
If all goes well, then install the T/C and driveshaft and skid.
If it doesn't shift, then you can drop it back out and open the case.

Perhaps you can rent a transmission jack to make the job easier. Harbor Freight has a transmission jack for $100.00

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tore it apart myself..was in two gears at the same time..tapped on the shifting rods and got it to move..so far so good, now to wait on my clutch parts to come in so i can install it try it out for real..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts