Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after figuring out the parts i need to rebuild my ax5 it will be cheaper to buy a new transmission its either the ax15 or the nv3550. what modifications will i have to do to install these and which one is better??????????????

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
or what is the transmission that requires little mods and the syncros wont fail as quickly. the syncros are the main concern. my ax5 was rebuilt for that reason 4 months ago and they went out again.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Anything without a gl5 lubricant. I've read on here alot of people using regular gear oil.
GL3 is recommended by Jeep.....good luck finding it. Some people will say GL5 supersedes it but I haven't found any literature backing that. And GL5 won't eat synchros but if it isn't the right viscosity it'll slow yythem down(too thick) or speed them up(too thin) causing a rough shift and eventually failure. Stay away from synthetics if you have leaks.

I ran GL5 80w/90 in my 94 AX5 and never had any issues with 20+ Rubicon runs.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've heard Pennzoil's Syncromesh works well with trans issues. I am putting it in mine once my axle swap is complete.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
or what is the transmission that requires little mods and the syncros wont fail as quickly. the syncros are the main concern. my ax5 was rebuilt for that reason 4 months ago and they went out again.
As others have said, make sure the fluid you use says "safe for yellow metals" on the bottle. The AX and NV transmissions use brass synchros, which are incompatible with some lubes. Also don't shift like you just got done watching a Fast and Furious marathon.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I run full synthetic 10w30 motor oil. My ax15 shifts smooth as butter. And GL-5 lubes will eat synchros. They are made out of brass and GL-5 is corrosive to brass. I've had buddies rebuilt jeep trannies after using GL-5 gear oil and I guess its not pretty.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I am replacing an AX5 with an NV35550 as part of my SBC conversion. I needed to change the input shaft to my 231 transfer case to match up but my understanding is that is the case regardless if using the NV3550 or the AX15. I don't know about the input end conversion because I needed to adapt mine for the SBC but again I believe the NV3550 and AX15 are the same on the engine end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts