Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have bite off more than I could chew. I am trying to attempt clutch kit on my 1990 Jeep Wrangler 2.5. I have everything disconnected including bell housing bolts. It has separated about 1/2 inch on passenger side but not budged on drivers side. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Did u get all the bolts out six I think.. if ya did then the input shafts binding.. you need to pick up on the tranny.. it needs to be as straight as possible. Usually raising or lowering the tail end does it..

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not sure about the 2.5, but on my 4.0 there is a metal shield between the engine and flywheel. I missed one of the bolts and tried to separate the engine and trans for an hour with no success.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
According to the pics, its in a bind. If you have a gap on one side, but not on the other it will bind and not slide back. Push it back towards the passenger side and close that gap, then get a pry bar into the drivers side and try to release the bell housing off of the alignment pin, which is about half way up the side (middle bolt hole).

I always put a bottle jack and a block of wood on the oil pan, so I can raise and lower the back of the motor as needed to keep it aligned.

Doing it by hand, it is always easier to separate the trans from the t-case and take out the separate pieces. Unless you have a lot of strong willing help to aid you in man handling the whole unit.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay. So I got the new clutch kit in, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing in and out everything back the way it was following both Haynes and chilton manuals. Fired it up and it seems to be idling rough. Any thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts