Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My JK has 45K on it...The paint or whatever coating was on the axel and differential cover is completely peeled off. Wondering what kind of paint or coating would be good to repaint it with..Not sure if I am dealing with a real heat engine in the area or not.???? Experts you out there??
:) Carson

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
gloss or flat back spray paint.. works wonders.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Rustoleum works good........

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Not enough heat to worry about it. Personally I use the flat back black spray paint with extra Cheap in it, and just redo it every now and then. The world's most expensive under car coating goop in a can won't survive on a Jeep for that long anyway... even powdercoat doesn't last under a Jeep if you wheel in it at all...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

That was what I was wondering...Thanks...I don't wheel all that much but do live outside Lake Tahoe and we are snow with high desert "fangs and Tangs" So Muchas Grass..:)
Not enough heat to worry about it. Personally I use the flat back black spray paint with extra Cheap in it, and just redo it every now and then. The world's most expensive under car coating goop in a can won't survive on a Jeep for that long anyway... even powdercoat doesn't last under a Jeep if you wheel in it at all...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks kik im going to do the same. Will that same paint stay on my exhaust its rusted too... Or do I need like a barbecue grill black paint?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I would bet rustoleum is fine but if you are worried grab some engine block paint. Duplicolor makes a lot of colors and I think it's about $7-8 a can so not bad at all. You would only need 1 can for exhaust. Go with black or silver if you want the stock look

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
My JK has 45K on it...The paint or whatever coating was on the axel and differential cover is completely peeled off. Wondering what kind of paint or coating would be good to repaint it with..Not sure if I am dealing with a real heat engine in the area or not.???? Experts you out there??
:) Carson
you playing in salt? that might affect paint type you need to get.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Rustoleum semi-gloss black is better than flat when it comes to washing off the dirt.
I painted my 2003 Dodge ram under carriage with both. Over the last 7 years the semi-gloss did a better job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts