Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing to swap the axles on my YJ. Does anyone have a diagram of where all of the brackets should go (spring perches, shock mounts, etc.) for the YJ? I've just been measuring off of my factory axles for now, but would interested to see what the "spec" is for the measurements. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
It depends on what axle(s) you're swapping in.
If you're swapping axles from another YJ, (doesn't sound like it) there's no need to change the brackets.
If you're installing a Explorer 8.8, then I'd set the axle in place along with the aftermarket brackets. The amount of lift your springs have and if you're running a SYE will determine tour pinion angle.
Once you have the axle centered on the springs (the pumpkin will be farther to the right than the D35 pumpkin) and you have your pinion angle properly set, just tack the brackets in place. Then remove the axle and complete the welds.

If you're doing 1 tons, or something else, let us know.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I swapped mine out, I just mocked the axles up with the spring perches, plates and U bolts. Center them left to right under the chassis, get the pinion angle correct for the rear axle, cinch them down and then tack weld them.

Same thing with the shocks, mock them up and then tack weld them. You do all this at normal drive height. After all that. pull the axle out and weld all the perches and brackets in.

I assume your swapping with non stock axles so you might have to adjust your drive shaft lengths as well.

There's not really a diagram that I know of other than using the stock axles as a guide.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I am swapping in axles from a JK (the front is actually the beefier Dana 44 Ulitmate). Once I get all of the original brackets removed, I’ll mock everything up with my new springs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts