Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so i have a 1993 jeep yj, 2.5L 4cyl sitting on 31's and i had a welded rear differential but something went wrong and the whole rear end is ceased up (pinion gear has nothing left of it from what i can see). I want to get a new differential that isnt welded. I believe it is a 4.10 back there. I have come across a pair of axles, front and rear, that came from a jeep tj, apparently with 3.73 gearing.. I havent seen them yet but apparently one is a dana 35, and one is a dana 30...I have a couple questions about this...
1) This is my daily driver, so will the gearing be okay for my YJ? I like to go up some easy mountains, not a hardcore wheeler.
2) Will the jeep TJ axles fit on my YJ?
3) any other cheap fixes ?

if you can help me out as soon as possible that would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
1. Your engine will have to work a lot harder to push your Jeep around, especially as higher speeds. You won't be using 5th gear much at all.
2. No, they won't. TJs have coil spring suspension. You need leaf spring perches, and maybe even mounts for shocks and trac bars and sway bars. For the price of all that, you may as well do an axle swap. See number three...
3. Your options now are to either replace the gears and carrier in the rear, or pop in something like a D44 or Ford 8.8. In my opinion, D35 axles aren't worth putting any money into other than brakes, seals, and fluid changes.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would think a used donor axle out of a 4cyl yj would be the cheapest option. Use the parts to rebuild the axle thats in your Jeep

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I would think a used donor axle out of a 4cyl yj would be the cheapest option. Use the parts to rebuild the axle thats in your Jeep
If you go this route, I would change the whole thing, not use parts be cause you will have to re-set every thing. after you in stall the used D35 then you can look for a good used Ford 8.8 to install when the newly replaced D35 fails again, and it will in time.
Or just get a Ford 8.8 installed now and have a very strong axle from now on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you go this route, I would change the whole thing, not use parts be cause you will have to re-set every thing. after you in stall the used D35 then you can look for a good used Ford 8.8 to install when the newly replaced D35 fails again, and it will in time.
Or just get a Ford 8.8 installed now and have a very strong axle from now on.
I'm not much of a mechanic or anything like that, but is the ford 8.8 a differential or is it the whole axle? and will it line up with my driveshaft?

·
Registered
104 Posts
3:73 is what I have with 31's and a 4.6 litre. Works fine no strain.
Mud magnet is right.the 2.5 will have to work much harder. When I get some of my other projects finished I will upgrade to the 44/8.8 combo.I put the 3:73 in my 35/30 myself spent about a grand. Don't do off road much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking for the best thing for daily driving, so will the ford 8.8 be good for daily driving or is it more of an offroad thing?

·
Registered
519 Posts
There are plenty of people, myself included, that hate the D35 but it is fine for daily driving and light off-roading if treated properly. You can read a thousand stories about people wheeling the D35 with 33s and 35s, if you are sticking with 31s and mostly daily driving I would repair or replace the 35.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I'm not much of a mechanic or anything like that, but is the ford 8.8 a differential or is it the whole axle? and will it line up with my driveshaft?
It's the whole axle, wheel hub to wheel hub. An axle swap requires welding, brakes, gearing, and specialty tools. No offense but this is one of those "if you have to ask that question then you probably shouldn't be doing it" type things. Don't worry, you just need to build up your experience and tool collection. It doesn't take long. When I first bought my Jeep and popped the hood I had no idea what anything was, but it just takes some YouTube searching and poking around.

But yes the Ford 8.8 will line up with your driveshaft. It's something that you can adjust when you weld in the spring perches. Look at East Coast Gear Supply. ECGS has prebuilt axles that are bolt in. For what you'll put into the donor axles, you could put a little more into the 8.8. steves92 has an "8.8 options" thread where he installs his.

ECGS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts