Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front axle does not have a diff cover, so I'm not sure what kind of axle it is. I know my rear axle is a dana 44 because of the diff cover. My jeep is a 2007 Sahara 2WD. Does 2WD matter? I'm so confused, it's just a straight bar. I purchased this jeep used, so I have no idea of the history. Any ideas???

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
If you don't have the big 'pumpkin' with a drive shaft going to it (just like your rear axle), then you probably have a 2 wheel drive Wrangler. They did make them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know my wrangler is 2 wheel drive.. The reason I'm asking is I just purchased ball joints for dana 44 or 30 axle and they don't fit... so I was trying to figure out exactly what type of axle I have. So if your car is 2WD, you won't have the same type of front axle as a 4WD?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
You're definitely not going to use Dana 44 or 30. I don't know where you'll find parts for the front end of a 2wd Wrangler. They are kind of a rare bird.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
The Dana 44 axle has a Dana 44 differential. The Dana 30 Axle has a Dana 30 differential. But with a 2WD Wrangler, there is no Dana differential so it's NOT a Dana axle.

2WD Wranglers are pretty rare.. I suppose you'd need to order special from a Jeep dealer.

Out of interest below are some axles. The first is a front axle for a rear wheel drive only Wrangler... The one behind it is for a 4WD Wrangler it has the Dana 'pumpkin'.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's listed as a D (Dana) 30 "solid" front axle. I don't know if the parts you listed will fit a "solid" axle. I would contact Teraflex customer service.
Sorry, I commented again before I saw this comment. Thanks a lot! I'll contact them tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Both the JKD30 and JKD44 housings take the same balljoints. I would assume the 2wd version would as well. Is it possible the balljoints you received are for the TJD30.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Both the JKD30 and JKD44 housings take the same balljoints. I would assume the 2wd version would as well. Is it possible the balljoints you received are for the TJD30.
Yea I am fairly certain that the 2wd and 4wd axle use the exact same parts, from the inner knuckle to the balljoints to the outer knuckle and on.

It saves them a ton of money because they can build it all on the same tooling. Zero design changes are required.

Manufacturers have been doing this for years, the newer 2wd 1 ton chevys even have the splines in the front unit bearings, same as the 4wd.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts