Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to the JeepForum, but love all the help you guys give. So, I figured I'd post to see what your thoughts are about my 2008 Unlimited Sahara. I noticed the past few times that I've parked in my garage that there is some leaking coming from someplace around the driver side wheel. There is no fluid on the inside of the tire itself, but it almost looks like the axle is leaking. There is quite a bit of fluid on the floor of my garage, and until now my garage floor has been spotless. :( Anyway, I took a few pictures, but was wondering if you guys could give me your thoughts about what it might be and if I could fix whatever it is myself, or take it to a garage?? Also, is this something that needs to be done ASAP? I'm guessing axle leak. It has 50000 miles on it and I'm the second owner.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Wow that's a big leak! Your inner axle seal is shot. It's located on the inside of the diff housing. Depending on your DIY skills this can be done yourself. You have to take out your axle shafts and then the diff gears but they can stay in the carrier so you just have to put the shims back the same way they went in before and it'll fit just fine. It's a long job but you can do it with some time and patience. They are less than a $10 part so you should replace both sides while you're at it.

You'll save several hundred dollars doing it yourself

As far as change immediately: if you can make sure you're never low on fluid then it doesn't ever have to be changed. This is very tough so you should probably change it soon

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
By the looks of amount of oil on floor you might want to check the oil level now in diff,
And top it off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I figured it had to do something with the seals, but just wasn't sure. I'll check diff fluid and see if I can tackle soon.

·
Registered
511 Posts
They are less than a $10 part so you should replace both sides while you're at it.
The new 2 piece design from Mopar is a bit more than the older simpler 1 piece design, but also quite a bit better seal. I just got 2 from my local dealer and they were $20 a piece, but I am sure other dealers may be a bit cheaper.

To the OP: use mopar/spicer seals from the dealership. I havent had good luck with the aftermarket seals like National.

The replacement isnt HARD, its just time consuming to get everything apart to get to them. And to get the new seals in can require some special tools to be able to drive the new seals in. Ive had good luck with several long extensions(got em cheap at harbor freight) and a large, properly sized socket out of an impact socket set to drive in new seals.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'm fairly new to the JeepForum, but love all the help you guys give. So, I figured I'd post to see what your thoughts are about my 2008 Unlimited Sahara. I noticed the past few times that I've parked in my garage that there is some leaking coming from someplace around the driver side wheel. There is no fluid on the inside of the tire itself, but it almost looks like the axle is leaking. There is quite a bit of fluid on the floor of my garage, and until now my garage floor has been spotless. :( Anyway, I took a few pictures, but was wondering if you guys could give me your thoughts about what it might be and if I could fix whatever it is myself, or take it to a garage?? Also, is this something that needs to be done ASAP? I'm guessing axle leak. It has 50000 miles on it and I'm the second owner.
Thanks!
That's a lot of rust. You must be in a northern state because that's nasty. I would be under there with a wire brush and rust reformer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts