Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-

Got into a pretty sticky situation this weekend off road which requires some pretty heavy gas pedal usage in 4lo and rear and front axles locked.

After I finally got out of it, my check gauges light turned on, engine temp was was running pretty close to 260 for about 15 minutes, and my axles wouldn't engage. Did I potentially screw something up with my axles?

Drove an hour home then continued operation as normal through the long weekend, so think I'm good as far as the engine goes.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Were you stuck in mud/water? If so, I would inspect all your fluids.

Running hot like that can take a toll on the head gasket, so over the next few days/weeks I would monitor your oil for coolant, and your coolant for oil.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Were you stuck in mud/water? If so, I would inspect all your fluids.

Running hot like that can take a toll on the head gasket, so over the next few days/weeks I would monitor your oil for coolant, and your coolant for oil.
No deep mud or water. It was a rocky hill, with minimal mud and my tires couldn't catch traction.

After I noticed it running hot, I turned it off and let it cool down for a bit, and was back to 210, then it went back up for a few minutes before getting turned off again, and eventually went to normal for the rest of the trip, then the ride home.

·
Registered
149 Posts
No deep mud or water. It was a rocky hill, with minimal mud and my tires couldn't catch traction.

After I noticed it running hot, I turned it off and let it cool down for a bit, and was back to 210, then it went back up for a few minutes before getting turned off again, and eventually went to normal for the rest of the trip, then the ride home.
Little tip, if you work a motor to make it hot don't turn it off like that, let it run till it cools down. ....of course if it shoots up for no reason shut it down right away

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Little tip, if you work a motor to make it hot don't turn it off like that, let it run till it cools down. ....of course if it shoots up for no reason shut it down right away
This.

And blast your heat. It adds a little capacity to your cooling system till the temp comes down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts