Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain how this works and what is involved in upgrading to this.?

·
Registered
14,065 Posts

·
Registered
14,065 Posts

·
Administrator
12,451 Posts
In general terms a locker which replaces the spider gears or in some case the entire carrier in the diff.. will Lock the two axle shafts together so they spin at the same rate.. vs an open diff with sends power to the tire with the least traction.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If you watched the video you should have a greater understanding of how the 4 wheel drive system works. Although you are in 4 wheel drive you are not truly driving all 4 wheels with an equal amount of torque, with the lockers engaged it will send the same amount of power to both wheels on the locked axle. If I am doing a poor job of explaining this someone else please chime in.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
As for upgrading you need to decide what type of locker best suites your driving needs.

Lunchbox Locker = Excellent traction, can eventually wear out, inexpensive to buy and install, will click when turning, not so great in snow/ice and decent road manners.

Full Case Locker = Excellent traction, not likely to wear out, more expensive to buy and normally gears are also installed. Will make a loud Popping sound when they unload. This is normal but can be very unsettling. Takes a bit to learn how to drive. Great choice for the rear, overkill for the front. Bad idea in snow/ice.

Selectable Locker = Excellent traction, can have problems with both air and electric. Most expensive to buy and install. Great for both front and rear. Best in snow/ice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that's what I meant and TY for all the info I will go through it all. So basically with out lockers a 2 wheel drive is really 1 wheel and 4 wheel drive is really 2 wheel when it comes to traction and power to wheels?

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Yes...Kinda.

When traction is equal on both sides with an open differential both tires will have the same torque. When traction is not equal the torque will go to the side with less or no traction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts