Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 14 bolt FF axle with 4.10 gearing months ago, and already have it converted to disc brakes. --Not installed yet.

Found a guy on Craigslist giving a Dana 60 FF with 4.10 gearing (still drums though) away for free since he is moving.. So I went and got it ..

So my question is, What is more preferred by you guys? Either way, Ill be coming out on top with selling one of them. Just need help with the pros and cons with them.. (other than size).

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
The only "con" to the 14bolt that I can think of is the severe lack of clearance at the bottom of the diff. I'd prefer the 60 if I could have it my way. But seeing how you've already put money into the 14bolt I'd stick with it. They are both stout as hell, either way you win.

·
Registered
305 Posts
No contest 14b, it is way stronger than any 60. Clearance wise there is some difference but not a lot, tire size will play a bigger role in determining how much that matters.
That is not to say I would turn down a free 60, but given a choice between the two the 14 wins.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Keep the 14 bolt. Without timing the bottom of the 14b while running 37's really turns into 35's. Just shave it up and you have your clearance back. I have to shave mine down as well.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
The only thing I use a 60 rear in is my scrap trailer. They are virtually no stronger and alot of the time weaker than a 9 inch....they are no where close to a 60 front. That being said, a 14 bolt is a plow in the woods and the do have axle seal problems when they are disc braked. But, given your circumstances, run the 14b....you can always do like my buds do and cut the bottom off it hehe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts