Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at getting a ford 8.25 axle on my jeep. anybody have any experience with this axle, know if its any good?

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
I've got one under my XJ - does its job.

YOu'll hear lots of things about them though. Most will argue that its weaker than a D44 and some claim it to be slightly stronger. But IMO its just as good.

Of course your gonna have to weld new brackets on it to work for your TJ.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Yup, pretty good axle. No carrier change for gearing. Just have to get one and put the brackets on. If I had my choice between an 8.8 and an 8.25 I'd go with the Ford though.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
as stated decent axle not a ton of aftermarket support though say compared to the 8.8 or 44.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are 2 different 8.25 axles though. Older ones (early 90s) is 27 spline where the newer ones are a 29 spline. Get a newer one if you can.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it's a good choice. What kind of price? Of course you know you will have to get new brackets for it but it should be easy enough to mount. You can also shave some off the bottom of the housing for a little more clearance.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
sweet go for it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts