Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a line on 2 free items and wanted yalls opinion

Item #1 9 inch ford rear outta a truck

And a set (DANA 44)front an rear outta late 70’s cj <—-rebuilt with 29k

What ones would be best if either

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
I'd take them both and sell them on CL. If you want to change your rear axle, use the money to buy a Ford 8.8 axle from an Explorer in whatever gear ratio will work best for how you use your Jeep. The front and rear axle ratios must match or you'll destroy your transfer case the first time you use 4WD.

Adapting the 9" ford axle could be problematic. I don't know anything about the 9" Ford but I'm guessing that it's quite a bit wider than the YJ D30 and D35.

As far as the CJ D44s, again I don't know, but I think they might be narrower than the stock YJ axles. When YJs first came out they were advertised as "Wide Track" in response to the stories that CJs were prone to roll over. If they're the same width, then what gears they have will make the difference between being easily usable or not.

Measure your current rear axle width and compare it to the width of the ford axle and the CJ axles. Also, measure the distance between your rear spring center bolts and compare that measurement to the distance between the center bolt hole in the D44 spring perches.

Another thing to consider is the wheel lug pattern. A stock YJ has a (5 on 4.5) bolt pattern. The CJ might be the same. I doubt the Ford will be the same.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: gat

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
9" pinion is to low in a short wheel base jeep with a lift. And 99.9% chance axles out of a CJ will not work because they are too narrow, passengers side drop and they never came with a D44 front and the rear is probbaly a AMC 20. Unless these axles have been swapped in and has a drivers drop and happen to be the correct width they will not work.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Ford 9-inch would be good to get for free and sell for a couple hundred bucks.... if you get to CJ axles for free you'll probably lose money on them LOL

·
Registered
934 Posts
9" pinion is to low in a short wheel base jeep with a lift. And 99.9% chance axles out of a CJ will not work because they are too narrow, passengers side drop and they never came with a D44 front and the rear is probbaly a AMC 20. Unless these axles have been swapped in and has a drivers drop and happen to be the correct width they will not work.
Here's a YJ with a 9" and D44HP out of a '79 Bronco no problems with pinion when the spring mounts are relocated to compensate for lift and pinion angles.
The 70's Ford truck WMS is 65" while Jeep is 60.5". A couple inches wider per side no big deal.

qbert1_822726506_o.jpg

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Here's a YJ with a 9" and D44HP out of a '79 Bronco no problems with pinion when the spring mounts are relocated to compensate for lift and pinion angles.
The 70's Ford truck WMS is 65" while Jeep is 60.5". A couple inches wider per side no big deal.

View attachment 4180855

There is no way i can run a ford 9" in my jeep with a 4.5" lift the pinion is too low and it puts the already short driveshaft at to extreme of an angle to survive being street driven. I considered using a high pinion third member but once i sen how expensive it would be i just went with a D44. A guy i talked to at Dynatrac was trying to sell me on a high pinon Dana 60 and i probably should have listened to him.

You can only get away with so much with a 18" driveshaft if i remember right Tom Woods told me 23* is the maximum operating angle. And if your suspension droops and binds it then stuff starts breaking. You might be able to get away with a ford 9" if you are running a V8, 4 speed transmission and a short t-case, i am not and neither are the majority of YJ owners.

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
That 9in is stronger. You can get the disc kit to be able to run virtually any parts store disc brake setup, bigger ring gear, almost unlimited support. 8.8 is c-clip. Also 9in can run up to 40 spline shafts.

You can mitigate the pinion issues very well by resetting the perches (not a big fan of degree shims). The removable 3rd member is nice too.

·
Registered
934 Posts
You might be able to get away with a ford 9" if you are running a V8, 4 speed transmission and a short t-case, i am not and neither are the majority of YJ owners.
That YJ I posted was running the 4.0 AX15, 205 twin stick T-case, I don't remember what length drivelines it was running. Like I said no problems with the spring mounts in the right location for pinion angle.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
That YJ I posted was running the 4.0 AX15, 205 twin stick T-case, I don't remember what length drivelines it was running. Like I said no problems with the spring mounts in the right location for pinion angle.

Pinion angle has nothing to do with pinion height a standard double cardan shaft can only run at the maximum of a 22*-23* angle. And if you are running that at ride height and you have a suspension that droops enough stuff breaks.

I am running a super short SYE on my jeep and i am at my very limit on driveline angle with a NV4500 thats about 1" longer than an AX15 and 4.5" of lift. There is no way i could spring my jeep over and run 6+" of lift if i wanted too. When i was taking to ECGS they told me that they generally set up jeep pinion angle at 18* and the maximum they will go is 21*. I had mine welded at 21* and my angles are good and the D44 is significantly higher than a 9". I could not run a 9" in my jeep even if i pointed the pinion at 45*

·
Registered
934 Posts
Pinion angle has nothing to do with pinion height a standard double cardan shaft can only run at the maximum of a 22*-23* angle. And if you are running that at ride height and you have a suspension that droops enough stuff breaks.
All I'm saying is, it is do-able whether you choose to believe it or not

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Ford 9-inch would be good to get for free and sell for a couple hundred bucks.... if you get to CJ axles for free you'll probably lose money on them LOL

:funnypost: but true.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 92 YJ that I bought a few months ago. It has a 9” with SYE. The PO seems to be very knowledgeable and I trust his work but it sounds like I might need to check the angle. Interesting thread. I learn something about this YJ everyday it seems.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Welcome to the Forum IronScott,

What axle do you have in the front?
What size tires are you running?
What motor/transmission do you have?
Are you experiencing driveline vibrations.

Post some pics of your Jeep. We all like to see what the other guy drives.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts

I have seen people run the 9" in CJ's with short drivetrains and longer driveshafts but i dont think i have ever seen one in a YJ. I have to run a 1" transfercase drop running a D44 in my YJ with a super short SYE just to be at the maximum angle i can run on my double cardan shaft. I really dont like transfercase drops but i really did not want to spend the extra $2000 on a high pinion dana 60 to run 35's with no drop.

·
Registered
35 Posts
CJ's never came with a stock D44 in the front. From 76 up until towards the end of 86 they had AMC 20 axles. The last few CJ's built had D44 rears because they were out of M20 axles. As said, the CJ axles are narrow for a YJ. However, for a CJ guy they may be worth a good but of money. I'm a CJ guy who is getting a YJ.

If they are really D44 axles they came from something else. Maybe a Waggie or a scout? But they are D30/M20 axles if they are stock to the jeep. If not stock they could be from lots of places.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the Forum IronScott,

What axle do you have in the front?
What size tires are you running?
What motor/transmission do you have?
Are you experiencing driveline vibrations.

Post some pics of your Jeep. We all like to see what the other guy drives.

Good Luck, L.M.
Thanks for the welcome, LM. Waggy D44 in the front. 35” Pitbull Rocker mud tires. 4.0L with AX15 trans. No vibrations. I can run 70+ and it tracks straight. I do have some slop in the steering but I think that’s the tie rod ends since the steering box was just adjusted and didn’t help much. Other than the Rockers having poor road manners it rides really well for a built Jeep.

I updated my garage with some pics and info. I’ve only had it since July but love driving it. It’s a wheeler for me, so I don’t worry much about daily driving it. I have a JL for that :)

Attachments

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts

I have seen people run the 9" in CJ's with short drivetrains and longer driveshafts but i dont think i have ever seen one in a YJ. I have to run a 1" transfercase drop running a D44 in my YJ with a super short SYE just to be at the maximum angle i can run on my double cardan shaft. I really dont like transfercase drops but i really did not want to spend the extra $2000 on a high pinion dana 60 to run 35's with no drop.
Lots of people have done 9" rears in YJ's. It's not difficult to run them issue-free. I would probably lean towards having seen the D44, in various iterations, a lot more often, most likely because they require less work. 8.8's get used more often because they're just way more abundant and require less work, but by the time you lose the C clips...you coulda had a 9 and then some. Support for the 9 may even rival the 44.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Our Jeeps have a steep driveshaft angle. When you add a spring lift it makes the angle even steeper. Because our driveshafts are so short, a spring lift may cause driveshaft vibrations. The taller the lift, the greater chance for vibrations. Sometimes a transfer case drop will cure the vibrations. A lower crossmember (dropping the crossmember will drop the rear of the transfer case) will reduce ground clearance in the middle of the Jeep. This is less than ideal in some off road situations.

A SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) replaces the stock transfer case tailshaft with one that's shorter. Since by doing so you've eliminated the stock slip yoke, you've eliminated the slip yoke. With a shorter tailshaft on the transfer case, you'll need a longer driveshaft. The folks that build driveshafts will build a slip yoke into the longer driveshaft.
With a greater distance between the transfer case yoke and the differential yoke (requiring a longer driveshaft), the angle of the driveshaft is reduced and less likely to cause vibrations.

Go the Tom Woods website for a better explanation of what a SYE is and click on some of the information links he provides.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am running a super short SYE on my jeep and i am at my very limit on driveline angle with a NV4500 thats about 1" longer than an AX15 and 4.5" of lift. There is no way i could spring my jeep over and run 6+" of lift if i wanted too. When i was taking to ECGS they told me that they generally set up jeep pinion angle at 18* and the maximum they will go is 21*. I had mine welded at 21* and my angles are good and the D44 is significantly higher than a 9". I could not run a 9" in my jeep even if i pointed the pinion at 45*

Hmmm, I am not running a 9" but I don't think it would be a problem at all. I am running a SBC with 4L60E trans, super short SYE on the T-case. 4.5 inch suspension lift. My skid plate has no drop kit. My drive shaft is 20.5 inches. My drive shaft angle is 5 degrees. A Ford 9" rear would not be a problem in a YJ.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts