Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed this today. Is this an age thing or was there something that broke the seal?
I had an alignment done this morning on one of those hawk eye machines. I noticed the plates that the tires sat on moved in like they were under tension pulling out when they were unlocked.
Maybe could those plates have pulled outwards when they were locked in place and broke the seal?

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, would it be okay to drive less than 5 miles to the shop?
And is this best done by a repair shop or is this a DIY?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes you should be able to drive it to the shop. As far as replacing the seal it isnt that bad of a job if you have the time.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you had a shop do the alignment, I'd be calling them. Sounds like they did something wrong. If you did the alignment yourself, then that last part is irrelevant. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in about axle seals, but that definitely is not normal. Looks like the seal is bad to me

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Certainly looks like a bad seal but I think it's probably a coincidence that it happened at the same time as your alignment. I can't imagine how an alignment would tweak your inner seal unless they broke the axle shaft somehow.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
That's not a seal you're looking at, the front axle isn't sealed at the outside of the axle tube. That is just a plastic barrier that serves to keep rocks & debris out of the axle tube. The front axle is only sealed inside the differential so lube doesn't make its way down the axle tube.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Regardless, the alignment rack plates only serve to allow the front tires to be steered left/right & wouldn't break the inner seal. Those drops on the tire could be from nearly anything, the seal inside the differential pumpkin wasn't damaged by the alignment process.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Regardless, the alignment rack plates only serve to allow the front tires to be steered left/right & wouldn't break the inner seal. Those drops on the tire could be from nearly anything, the seal inside the differential pumpkin wasn't damaged by the alignment process.
That's what I was trying to say...doubt the alignment broke the inner seal. If you look at post one though, you can see a large pool of gear oil on the inner C, so I would still think the inner seal is the culprit.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know that's a little plastic piece...it's loose, doesn't do anything for sealing. It is coming from the axle and has pooled in the part of the knuckle there, then overflowed down the tire. That's all the same stuff, same freshness.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Bottom line is that it will be easy enough to replace the seal on your own. Even if the shop was somehow responsible I'd still do it myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts