Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:

2002 Sahara, 137000 miles just had front and rear brakes done...a few weeks later the front right axle seal blew followed by the right rear. Thought it was a coincidence and my mechanic...who is a great guy..said its a jeep thing. No worries as from what I read axle seals on wranglers is a bit of an issue? Anyway.. he replaced all four. A week later the back right blew AGAIN. This time mechanic said it must be the axle itself and probably needs to be replaced. My question is wouldnt you inspect the axles when your working on the seals? I'm pushing over a grand with brakes and seals at this point. Is this just shotty oversight on his part or what are your thoughts and knowledge on seals and axle relationship. Any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have you blown any oil out the vent tube? Could it be kinked or the vent on top plugged up? Too much oil in pumpkin?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Your Sahara came stock with a Dana 35. When replacing the seals the axle needs to come out and it should be obvious if there is a problem. The bearing could be bad and that would show on the axle shaft as wear. That would cause seal failure. Also if the there is a groove worn in the axle from the seal lip, that could cause leakage. If you don't want to replace the axle, both problems can be handles with an axle repair bearing.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Your Sahara came stock with a Dana 35. When replacing the seals the axle needs to come out and it should be obvious if there is a problem. The bearing could be bad and that would show on the axle shaft as wear. That would cause seal failure. Also if the there is a groove worn in the axle from the seal lip, that could cause leakage. If you don't want to replace the axle, both problems can be handles with an axle repair bearing.
some saharas came with the 44 stock. A guy I work with has one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had all the bearings replaced as well. So if the bearings were bad and then replaced that would cause an axle issue? Shouldnt he have seen that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had all the bearings replaced...could he have installed seals improperly? I heard these things are finicky?

·
Registered
84 Posts
would this put too much pressure on the new seals then? cause them to blow? Sorry this is new territory for me. Thanks guys!
The vent is on the axle so when the fluid heats up and expands it doesn't pressurize the housing. If the vent is clogged the pressure can build and blow out the axle seals

·
Registered
69 Posts
The vent is on the axle so when the fluid heats up and expands it doesn't pressurize the housing. If the vent is clogged the pressure can build and blow out the axle seals
He answered it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I had all the bearings replaced as well. So if the bearings were bad and then replaced that would cause an axle issue? Shouldnt he have seen that?
It depends. If you have a Dana 35 the rear axle shaft rides on the bearing rollers. If the bearings go bad they will likely cause damage to the axle shaft where they come in contact with each other. On the Dana 44 the bearing is pressed on the shaft and if the bearing goes bad, it will just eat up the races most of the time. The axle shaft will be fine. Did you figure out which axle you have? Here is an extreme case of what happens to the axle on a D35 when the bearing fails. It will take much less than this to cause a leak.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts