Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 Sahara, 4.0L, 32rh, Dana 35
I just noticed leakage of fluid or grease emitting from the inner hub on the rear passenger side. I'm hoping that these pics will be easy to decipher what the problem might be and would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Noticing fluid or grease finding it's way through my wheels.
2017-06-15_05-15-49 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Inside of tire is soaked. Dry from the inside of the hub to the axle.
2017-06-15_05-16-09 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Getting accumulation inside the fender well which is getting on the bumper and also dripping from the wheel well when parked for a bit.
20170615_171336 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd pull the wheel to be sure. Have you checked your break fluid reservoir? Diff fluid is a heavy weight gear oil. I had a leaking axle seal on my Disco, but I don't recall it slinging it or dripping like you are describing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pull the wheel and the drum cover. If it's brake fluid, then your brake reservoir will be dropping and you will be able to wash the extra fluid away with water. If it's diff fluid, the stuff will be oily and won't dissolve in water. Is your diff a D44 or D35c?

·
Registered
4 Posts
As others have said, it's either brake fluid leaking from your brake wheel cylinder, or it's gear oil from your axle seal. Easiest way is to just pull off your tire and brake drum, and it should become obvious from where.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
As others have said, it's either brake fluid leaking from your brake wheel cylinder, or it's gear oil from your axle seal. Easiest way is to just pull off your tire and brake drum, and it should become obvious from where.
The easiest way is to spray some water on the leakage. If it makes suds and washes off cleanly, it's brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks tango, I should have the chance to tear into this within the next few days. I'll let you guys know what I find. Right now I suspect a leaking wheel cylinder (brake fluid). I ordered an AC Delco replacement for $5 from rockauto in case my dream comes true. Otherwise.... it would have to be an outer axle seal. I've not performed that repair before but it does not appear very complicated. Thank you all for the great advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts