Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I took my Jeep to the shop yesterday due to a leak on the wheel, found out its the axles seals and they think the bearings are out. They want to charge me $577 bucks... is that a decent price? IM thinking about buying the parts and doing it with my brother at his bosses shop. What all do i need? Please be very detailed, i dont want to take it apart, and be missing one thing. THANKS!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
All they said was rear wheel bearing, and wheel seal.

Im thinking about just buying this, does it have all i would need?
Alloy USA Part 12135 - Alloy USA Chromoly Rear Axle Kits for Jeep
That kit has everything except the retainer plates. You can either use the old ones (which requires cutting the old bearings off the old axle) or buy new ones. Either way, you will need a press to install the new bearing and retainer ring. Aside from the need for the press, it's a real easy job. I would do them all day long for $577 a set. (After parts, I would be making about $500/hr.)

If you think Alloy USA shafts are made in the USA, you are going to be disappointed.

·
Knows a couple things...
50,152 Posts
Probably the outer bearings which must be replaced if the seal is replaced. There's perhaps $50 worth of parts, 10 minutes to press the bearings onto the axle shaft, and an hour to remove and replace both axle shafts. Maybe 90 minutes the first time.

In other words, $577 is pretty outrageous.

Here's what is done to replace the seals and bearings... D44 Axle Shaft Removal and Overhaul - 1

Here's how to swap the axle shafts in and out... Alloy USA D44 Shaft Installation - 1

This is actually an easier job than it may sound if you have jack stands and a basic set of wrenches and sockets.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Yes I do have the Dana 44, So if i ordered this kit and retainer plates, I could, in essence do it all myself?
You could just order new bearings and seals and keep your old shafts. Once you get your rear brake drum or rotor off, you only have to remove four nuts to get the axle shaft out. A ten-year old could do the job.

If you do decide to buy an axle kit, check Amazon for better pricing than what you linked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.