Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Sahara JKU. I had an axle seal leak in August 2019. Got it fixed by repair shop.

The day after there was a couple drops of fluid on my garage floor. After about 3 days the drops stopped. I had read it may be due to pressure in the system after getting it fixed.

So no leaks until December.

December it started leaking again.

I called shop back and am bringing back in.

They mentioned that the axle may be bent.

This leads to some interesting questions:

1) They claim some Wranglers are coming with bent axles from the factory.
Hard for me to believe. Anybody know if this is true ?

2) If axle is bent then why did then not check this the first time ?

My guess is that they nicked the seal when they installed the new one causing failure. But I could be totally wrong. Why would it take 4 months to start leaking again ?

One guy at the shop said his 2016 had 3 leaks in a row before it was finally fixed.

The shop I am taking it to is 4x4 Auto Parts and they routinely repair Jeep Wranglers.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
If it comes from the factory that way it would likely be out of true, not bent. Bent would be something that happens after it left the factory. I have heard of Jeeps coming from the factory with too much camber, which is from an axle that ain't straight.
A simple test is to have the Jeep checked for alignment. If the axle is bent the camber will show it. A tiny bit off is OK and normal, but excessive camber would mean the axle housing isn't straight.

It seems like it is too early to say that the axle is bent. It scares me a little that they are already trying to divert the blame for the leak. Shouldn't they look at it first? But maybe they are just mentioning this in passing.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had couple of leaks on my front axle. The first time they change the seals on both sides. The second time the weld for the tube broke causing the tube the shift. Dealer replaced axle under warranty do to faulty weld. The third time was the hub bearing was shot causing the whole shaft to move up. Replaced the hub and no more leak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts