Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was installing my new Warn Zeon 10 last night, was very excited to drop it off the jack stands. When the tires hit the ground I heard a "thunk". So I lifted it up again and as the tire left the ground I heard the same noise. Went over to the tire, grabbed it at the top and pushed and pulled towards the passanger side tire, its got what feels like 1/2" of slop or play. I thought ball joints immediately, but upon further inspection the ball joints are sitting still and this was way more play than you would ever get out of ball joints.

The yokes that connect to the U-Joint are moving inside of the "hub" if thats what we are going to call it. (forget proper term). Other side is doing the exact same thing. The axle shafts are moving around inside the housing and giving me lots of play at the wheel. I checked torque on the hub bolts, the axle nut, just did a U-Joint job so I know the outer splines are good at the hub.

What could I be looking at here? The most recent even I had was a good smack on the tie rod out crawling up a new hill I cut out on my property. Looks like a big frowny face right now, but dont see how that could have caused this.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like worn out wheel (unit) bearings.
But both sides at pretty much the same time? I thought that at first, but two days ago I couldn't get my front locker to engage (Dana 44 Rubicon) which lead me down the tube to thinking it's something internal. I hope it's a simple wheel bearing.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Even if your internals were completely gutted you still wouldn't have any slop or play if you BJs and unit bearings were good. Its gotta be one of the two.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
But both sides at pretty much the same time? I thought that at first, but two days ago I couldn't get my front locker to engage (Dana 44 Rubicon) which lead me down the tube to thinking it's something internal. I hope it's a simple wheel bearing.
Why not they were original at the same time. I personally change these parts as sets. If one Goes you are guaranteed the the other is soon to follow. May as well do them all when its apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts