Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to replace my 3.07 gears in my 98 sport with a Dana30/35 with 4.10 gears. I took it for a test drive once I got the rear end in, and I noticed the drivers side axle flange was slightly bent.

I removed my axle shaft from the 3.07 rear (drivers side) and went to put it in the 4.10 rear end, however it won't go in the final 1".

Both axles appear the same, same splines, same length.

What could I be forgetting? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
When you put the axle shafts next to each other you will notice one is about an inch shorter than the other. My guess is that you have them in the wrong sides.

Edit: didn't catch the same length part. So with it being a D35, obviously you have to pull the cover to get the c clips in to retain the shaft.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
What he said, compare the old and alternate axle for length, next make sure you have the replacement shaft aligned with the spider gears and check to make sure you have the shaft all the way in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The axle will slide into the housing all the way to the splines. I can push on the axle and get the other wheel to spin but it's just touching the splines. The axle needs to go in another inch for the splines than another inch to get the c clip in.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
The axle will slide into the housing all the way to the splines. I can push on the axle and get the other wheel to spin but it's just touching the splines. The axle needs to go in another inch for the splines than another inch to get the c clip in.
Did you note that the left & right side axle shafts have different lengths? The driver's side shaft is shorter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had issues with reinstalling my long axle shaft, turned out the axle tube was bent, have you looked inside your spider gears for any odd wear, or seen any metal bits in the diff pumpkin

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You need to lift the axle shaft up so it will slide into the carrier...

Yes that takes a bit of force since you have to do it from the flange... pull out on the top and push in on the bottom

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
You need to lift the axle shaft up so it will slide into the carrier...

Yes that takes a bit of force since you have to do it from the flange... pull out on the top and push in on the bottom
Assuming the OP is doing this and the length/spline count is correct, it may need some coaxing with a deadblow.

When I was installing my front chromoly shafts I ran into the same thing with one of the shafts not wanting to go in. I thought the axle was bent but when I tried both sets of factory shafts I had laying around both went in fine. Measuring the splines with calipers showed the splines on the new shaft were a hair larger. Some light taps with the deadblow did the trick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't notice any metal pieces or odd wear. The splines just start to engage, so maybe there is a slight bend in the axle tube. Is there an easy fix if the tube is slightly Bent?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
I'm not so sure a rubber mallet can give it the force needed if its splines are just so new that they're a tight fit when trying to insert the new shaft.

As a friend of mine likes to say, more cowbell!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I started looking closer it appears the splines are slightly bigger on the 6cyl Dana 35 axle shaft than the 4cyl Dana 35 axle shaft. Does this seem correct? I thought they were all the same.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yep no difference between 4 and 6 cyl rear ends except gear ratios

1 - 14 of 14 Posts