Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Lol more so with the number of people who’ve chimed in and backed them. I think I MAY have heard a bit of them in the past. I’m still waiting for others to chime in as I do more research before finally choosing. (Also I just realized it was your JKU that I looked at when considering MCE fenders and ACE liners. Sweet rig! I also see you run the ten factory’s, which are high on my list)
I get it. Word of mouth is oftentimes the best information you can get, assuming those with the mouth have real experience. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2013 JKU sport
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I get it. Word of mouth is oftentimes the best information you can get, assuming those with the mouth have real experience. Good luck with your decision.
Thank you, I do hope the word of mouth comes from those with experience and not just deep pockets or mall crawling.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just installed Carbon axles last weekend. Install went flawless. Took me 3 hours.

It was about a 3 month wait for delivery. I was surprised to see the wheel studs were the screw in type. I was told there were problems obtaining the press in studs normally used on their axle shafts. This might be an issue for some.

Revolution was my first choice, but they could not even give me a rough idea when they could deliver. This could have changed since then.

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I just installed Carbon axles last weekend. Install went flawless. Took me 3 hours.

It was about a 3 month wait for delivery. I was surprised to see the wheel studs were the screw in type. I was told there were problems obtaining the press in studs normally used on their axle shafts. This might be an issue for some.

Revolution was my first choice, but they could not even give me a rough idea when they could deliver. This could have changed since then.
How did you hold the axle when tightening the studs? I read for another brand w/ screw in studs that they get red Loc-tite and torqued to 90 lb/ft. I have the ability to torque, but am unsure how to secure the axle while torquing.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
How did you hold the axle when tightening the studs? I read for another brand w/ screw in studs that they get red Loc-tite and torqued to 90 lb/ft. I have the ability to torque, but am unsure how to secure the axle while torquing.
Thanks.
Couldn’t you just insert the shaft into the differential? With the opposite wheel on the ground you won’t be able to rotate the shaft.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Couldn’t you just insert the shaft into the differential? With the opposite wheel on the ground you won’t be able to rotate the shaft.
Carbon axles as well as a few others have screw in wheel studs. Can you really insert the studs into the flange from the backside to tighten them with a torque wrench with the axle shaft inserted into the tube?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Carbon axles as well as a few others have screw in wheel studs. Can you really insert the studs into the flange from the backside to tighten them with a torque wrench with the axle shaft inserted into the tube?
I don’t see why not. Thread in the studs hand tight. Insert the axle shaft into the differential with the opposite wheel on the ground to prevent the axle from turning. Screw a couple of nuts onto the stud you want to tighten. Jam the two nuts together with a set of wrenches. Then use a torque wrench on one of the jammed nuts to tighten the stud to spec. Remove the jam nuts and repeat the process with the next stud until you’re done.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I don’t see why not. Thread in the studs hand tight. Insert the axle shaft into the differential with the opposite wheel on the ground to prevent the axle from turning. Screw a couple of nuts onto the stud you want to tighten. Jam the two nuts together with a set of wrenches. Then use a torque wrench on one of the jammed nuts to tighten the stud to spec. Remove the jam nuts and repeat the process with the next stud until you’re done.
I had not thought about jam nuts. I was only thinking about putting wrench on the head of the stud.

·
Registered
2013 JKU sport
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

That’s bold you still went with them with no ETA. The pressed vs screw in isn’t a HUGE deal for me I suppose especially it being my first time playing with axle shafts.

·
Registered
2013 JKU sport
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I had not thought about jam nuts. I was only thinking about putting wrench on the head of the stud.
Hah! Same here, I was imagining a long torque wrench squeezing back there fighting for every last millimeter of space.

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
@SilverbulletJKU1775 Revolution couldn't give me an ETA, so i did not go with them. Carbon at least gave me a ballpark time frame. They were still about a few weeks late. it's pretty
much out of their control. They explain the situation on their website. Frustrating for sure.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts

·
Registered
2013 JKU sport
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
@SilverbulletJKU1775 Revolution couldn't give me an ETA, so i did not go with them. Carbon at least gave me a ballpark time frame. They were still about a few weeks late. it's pretty
much out of their control. They explain the situation on their website. Frustrating for sure.
Sorry to hear that hassle, but thank you for your input! At this point, it almost sounds like I can just flip a coin to choose between Ten Factory and Carbon. My only incentive for Ten Factory is the pressed studs (it seems through northridge4x4) and then not being screw-in type studs. Otherwise pretty similar and equal number of supporters for each have chimed in.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If I could do it again I would’ve just waited for the Revolution axles. Even though the Carbon axle install went flawless, they were not without issues.

There were minor dings and dents on the spline of one axle, which I had to stone off.

The heads of the wheel “studs” did not sit flush with the back of the flange. This is due to the tapped hole not being properly chamfered with a countersink.

The studs were not perpendicular to the flange. This was not excessive, but was apparent.

I was told I am overthinking this and offered a full refund. I was also told the Chinese wheels have plenty of clearance, so the cockeyed studs will not be a problem. Well….anyone who knows anything about mechanics knows that hole to stud clearance is meaningless when you have a conical lug nut and seat.

This may be too much information and not the proper spot for a product review and I am not complaining because I went against my better judgment and kept the axles. Your results may be better. Good luck with your choice as there are not a lot of them in these times.

·
Registered
2015 Anvil JKUR Hard Rock.
637 Posts
If I could do it again I would’ve just waited for the Revolution axles. Even though the Carbon axle install went flawless, they were not without issues.

There were minor dings and dents on the spline of one axle, which I had to stone off.

The heads of the wheel “studs” did not sit flush with the back of the flange. This is due to the tapped hole not being properly chamfered with a countersink.

The studs were not perpendicular to the flange. This was not excessive, but was apparent.

I was told I am overthinking this and offered a full refund. I was also told the Chinese wheels have plenty of clearance, so the cockeyed studs will not be a problem. Well….anyone who knows anything about mechanics knows that hole to stud clearance is meaningless when you have a conical lug nut and seat.

This may be too much information and not the proper spot for a product review and I am not complaining because I went against my better judgment and kept the axles. Your results may be better. Good luck with your choice as there are not a lot of them in these times.
By your user name of toolmaker.....tolerances are crucial to you. So you are very picky. I'm not as high up on the food chain as you....but as a cnc machinist i am very picky too. Thanks for the info. I know what i am spending my money on.

·
Registered
217 Posts
@Boxcarwill These days I am CNC machining as well. I may have unrealistic expectations, so I gave them a pass. I check things the average consumer might not. I also have nicked or dented a finished part and hoped the customer would accept it as I would still function properly.

·
Registered
2017 JKUR 3.5" MC Kit
438 Posts
Thanks.
Place the studs into your wheels from outside end and torque them. That's how I did and I had no issues getting to 90 ft lb.

Now unfortunately i had to do it twice on one side. Don't be an ass like I was and assume the 8 holes all work... They are 2 slightly different 5 stud patterns, and even though they fit the studs for me to tighten, when I went to put the wheel on they didn't match. I had to take everything apart and redo it. Live and learn

21 - 40 of 49 Posts