Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '91 with a 4.0 Liter.

I'm planning on putting a 4 inch lift with 33in tires.
Rather than re-gear it, i was thinking of swapping in the axles from a 2.5 liter. There's a guy here in Okla who's selling front and rear for $100 each. (word on the street says that they have 4.11 from the factory)

Is that a plausible idea? Or is re-gearing the only way to go?

Also, is there any issues that I should look out for if I do swap them? Brake issues? etc

Thanks in advanced :thumb:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
it would work, just make sure to pop those diff covers off and take a look at um before you buy them..would suck to get them home and find out somethings broke in there lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet! Thanks, hopefully I find good cond ones.

What exactly should I check for when opening the diffs? That they haven't seized, pitted, and still spin?

Also, is it possible to move the gears from the 2.5's axles to mine? Or do you still have to worry about backspacing, shimms, etc?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
That is a good price on a set of those axles. I've seen them for as high as $500.

The technically correct gearing for your setup is 4.56 but 4.10s are a big improvement over 3.07's.

I would suggest swapping axles and not trying to swap gears... too much risk to swap. Used gears make a hard process even harder.

One other idea to consider is since you are going to 4.10's, a 8.8 from a explorer would be a good swap for the rear. The 35 is a weaker axle...stock anyway.
If you can't find one now you could buy both and resell the 1 later. I think you could easily get your investment back.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The yj's that have a 2.5 and manual trany have 4.10 gears so when u pull the diff cover check the ring gear it should have the gear ratio stamped on it( check them both just 2 b sure

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The yj's that have a 2.5 and manual trany have 4.10 gears so when u pull the diff cover check the ring gear it should have the gear ratio stamped on it( check them both just 2 b sure
Good call, I'll have to check with him to see if they're out of a manual or auto.

What all should I check with the gears (as far as condition)? Do they show obvious signs of wear?

The 8.8 is my first thought, but this is the most cost effective solution for now, I graduate in year, so I'll upgrade then!:thumb: haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts