Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just swapped in a D44 into my 97 TJ and now the pinion angle is way off. The D44 came out of a stock 01 TJ. The pinion angle was fine with the D35 before I took it out. All I did was swap the D35 out for the D44. What is the Different in the stock TJ D44 versus the Stock D35 that it throws the pinion angle off so much that I need adjustable uppers to fix it. I'm just confused, There both stock TJ axles and the D44 I thought would bolt right up with no problems. I'm hoping someone will help me understand what the difference is or what I have wrong. Here is some pics.

This is what it looked like before the swap D35

After swap D44

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
WTF is going on with those rear lower control arms? The ones pictured with the D44 installed..........

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there pro comp boxed control arms

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Did you replace the stock LCAs with the pro comp arms during the swap? If so, the pro comp arms are longer this rotating your pinion angle down.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you replace the stock LCAs with the pro comp arms during the swap? If so, the pro comp arms are longer this rotating your pinion angle down.
I put them side by side before I installed them and they where the same length. I stuck the bolt in the stock arms and the bolt lined up with the pro comp ones. So how are they longer?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I don't know if it's enough to cause that much misalignment but I'm pretty sure the D44 yoke is an inch or so closer to the tcase than the D35. Either larger housing or longer pinion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if it's enough to cause that much misalignment but I'm pretty sure the D44 yoke is an inch or so closer to the tcase than the D35. Either larger housing or longer pinion.
yea but it came out of another TJ that is set up just like mine.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
If I'm understanding correctly the donor TJ was factory with D44 while yours was D35. If that's correct, when you swapped in the D44 it shortened your drive shaft and caused a steeper angle.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Did you reattach your rear sway bar and take it for a ride yet?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If I'm understanding correctly the donor TJ was factory with D44 while yours was D35. If that's correct, when you swapped in the D44 it shortened your drive shaft and caused a steeper angle.
Looking at the exposed area of the shaft where the slip is Id say they look the same length to me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im not sure it doesn't look like enough of a difference to change the angle that much

Did you reattach your rear sway bar and take it for a ride yet?
yes and I get drive line vibration under acceleration from about 1500 to just over 2500 rpm.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I found the thread I was thinking of. The posters TJ was an auto and the donor d44 was from a manual. The drive shaft was one inch to long. I apologize. :)
ahhh ok. yes both donor and mine are manuals. hopefully someone will know why im having this problem. Plus I have a SYE. I have upper adjustable ones on the way but im trying to figure out why I even need them at all.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it already had a lift I just swapped springs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you gain any height? Not trying to pester you just help work though the problem.
no your good. no its the same height 4in. just new springs with less miles on them.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts