Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls,

I just purchased a used upraded dana 44 set to replace my 30/35 on my 2003 wrangler X. My question is about compatibility of my stock drive shaft with the 44 axle. Are the pinion yoke/u-joints compatible or am I going to need replace something to make this setup work? I can't find a definitive answer on the subject, but I've read somewhere that the u-joints may be different sizes and also that the X model itself has larger u-joint caps. If I need to replace the pinion yoke, how hard is that job. If I need to replace the drive shaft, what would you suggest that would work between my NP231 transfer case and the D44. I know I've seen some sort of adapter u-joint as well (1310 to 1330). Is this the best way to go? Please advise.

Also same question for the compatibility of the front drive shaft and replacement D44 axle. Thanks for any info.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Are both of your new Dana 44 axles out of a Rubicon? If so, they use different yoke and u-joint sizes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, both D44's are from a 2005 rubi. Here are the upgrades the guy has done to them.
Upgrades include Front Axle-
4.88 Yukon Gears
Superior chrome moly inners
Warn chrome moly outers
Warn premium lock out conversion
CTM joints
Curries chrome moly tie rod set
Rubicon Express steering stabilizer
Dynatrac Di
ff cover
Spring keepers
Spidertrax 1.25 wheel spacers 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern

Rear Axle-
4.88 Yukon Gears
Superior chrome moly shaves
Dynatrac Di
ff cover
Braided stainless brake line
Spidertrax 1.25 wheel spacers 5 on 5.5 pattern

So what will I need to buy to make it compatible? Driveshaft, yokes, U-joints????

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Your least expensive option is to install 1310 size yokes on the pinion shafts of each of your new axles. Your present driveshafts use 1310 size u-joints, the new axles don't.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really appreciate the advice. So do just need to find out the spline count on the new axle's pinion gears and then just find a 1310 yoke that matches and all my compatibility issues are solved?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Just get a 1310 size strap-style (not u-bolt) yoke to fit a TJ Dana 44 axle and you'll be golden. The p/n for a Rubicon yoke is different since it doesn't use 1310 u-joints so don't let a shop tell you it's not the right yoke for a Rubicon axle. The pinion shaft spline count is the same for a standard TJ Dana 44 and TJ Rubicon Dana 44.

This one from East Coast Jeeps should work but call them to verify it... http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automot...6698580&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=mopar+4897026AA

You can either re-use your existing straps and screws or buy two new strap and screw kits.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a ton Jerry. One last question....why straps? It seems like a lot of people on the forums say the U bolts are better. Just curious on your take.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
The yoke is what holds the u-joint and provides the strength to resist engine torque. The strap (or u-bolt) only keeps the u-joint's bearing cap positioned safely down inside the yoke. So the straps are way more than strong enough to do the job. Finger pressure could probably do the job. U-bolts are totally unnecessary but their biggest potential major problem is they are way too easily overtightened. Doing so will destroy the u-joint's needle bearings by too easily deforming/crushing the bearing cap. Many u-joint failures have been caused by nothing more than having overtightened the u-bolts. Which is impossible to do with the straps. Which are way more than strong enough to do the job, they're really not doing a whole lot. The yoke is what has to be made strong. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts