Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new jeeps I've had my 97 tj fora couple years now with a 4 in lift on 33's I recently bought me something else to use as my dd so I can start building up my TJ I was hoping for some advice on what axles I should look for and what I should pass onon waon

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A dana 44 from another TJ is a drop in axle as long as it is the same gear ratio. Others swear by the Ford 8.8. It would be best to check out what axle you have right now and go from there. If the rear axle fill plug is rubber you have a dana 35 and it it is metal you have a dana 44.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Ford 8.8 is a widely used rear axle upgrade. its heavy duty and about the same width as your stock axle but will require welding and cutting new suspension mounts.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Assuming you have the dana 35 then you only have a few options. Build the dana 35 to a super 35, find a used or buy a new dana 44, or build an 8.8. There are pros and cons to all three. There is a mega ton of good info on these forums. I would say figure out what you want to do and start researching all the options. Good luck with your build. Its addicting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wanting todo some serious wheelin and still drive on the street also thinking arb and 4.56 or4.88 was thinking about a 60 rear and unsure about the front or maybe an 8.8 hoping some of you more experienced people out there could help

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
If you're wanting to drive it on the street be ready to spend a good chunk of change. For the rear I would look into Ford 8.8s 29 Spline 8.25s (late model Cherokee axle) TJ dana 44 or a 2wd toyota tacoma 8inch rear. For the front a HP30 from a 96-99 Cherokee would be the simple swap bolt in and wheel.

The other option is dynatrack axles that use some of your stock front end parts.

When you cross the line into Dana 60s your into the 37inch tire range, custom 3 and 4 links Coil overs and air shocks and trying not to be a dick but judging from your posts your not ready for that yet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have been punishing a 8.8 out of a ford explorer. Look for a 95 and later (rear disc brakes), they have 31 spline axles and was a pretty easy install with a bracket kit. I'm putting a lot of power to the ground and have not had a problem. Of coarse if you can afford some pro-rock 60's, go for it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts