Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me if there are axle tube seals for my 87 wrangler, dana 35 axles, with vacumn disconnect on the passenger side? seams like any of them will work if I cut the cover thats on the passenger side axle off. But I wanted to check to see if anyone knows a better way. Or why I shouldn't do it this way? any knowledge would be greatly appreciated

Auto part Suspension Auto part Pipe Suspension

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
The axle in the picture is a Dana 30. The seal for the passenger side is where the shiny spot is on the axle you have out like right next to the CAD housing in the axle. There is a thread on how to remove and install but I don't have the link right now. The seal is actually installed from the CAD housing area on the axle. DONT cut any parts.

Read through tis and it has pics and descriptions on how to replace the seal you want to replace. It is some work but with a little patience it can be done.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dana-30-seals-149246.html

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
the axle housing is marked dana 35, not that it matters. Your talking about the "inner" seals and I'm talking about the outer "after market" tube seals. every one I have looked at say's "not for vacumn disconnect", and I think its because the cover (circled on the right pic) wont allow the axle to go in enough with the tube seal. But I think if I cut the cover off it will work. Which is why I posted the thread, cuz sometimes "the thinkin jobs get me in trouble" and maybe someone has already done it or tried it and might be able to help.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Yes you are correct. I have seen the seals which are to keep crap out of the axle tube which is great if yur wheelin in some crap. So I believe they have cut the end covers and installed them I would have to look around some first.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just "tapped" it off today, replacing the u joint in the short shaft. Im gonna try 'em out since I spend alot of time in "crap". haha

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cvb-66 said:
I just "tapped" it off today, replacing the u joint in the short shaft. Im gonna try 'em out since I spend alot of time in "crap". haha
Let me "crawfish", I spoke to a guh at "quadratech" who informed me that the a le thbe seals will not fit inside the dana 30 axle tubes, has nothing to do with the dust cove on the axle!! the inside diameter of the axle tube is to small. They just wont fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts