Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing new u-joints in my Dana 30. I know the timing of the drive shaft u-joints matters (when building a new shaft). Just wondering if the timing (clocking) of the u-joints to each other left to right matters? Or, do you just slide the axles back into the carrier in any orientation.

I'm replacing the joints because I had the rhythmic clicking in a turn normal for a CV joint failure. I assumed a U-joint was going but none of the ones I pulled didn't look too bad. I'm also replacing the hubs so maybe that will be it.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Nope...
The differential lets the wheels turn at different speeds...

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm replacing the joints because I had the rhythmic clicking in a turn normal for a CV joint failure. I assumed a U-joint was going but none of the ones I pulled didn't look too bad. I'm also replacing the hubs so maybe that will be it.
Thanks for any help.

Could it possibly have a lunchbox locker in the front?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check and see. I don't think I'll need to pull the cover? Just put it in gear and leave one wheel on the ground and jack up the other. Then try to spin the tire. Right?

It has a limited slip in the back according to the punch sheet. Otherwise it's very stock.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Even if it has a lunchbox locker it makes no difference. in 2wd itll be unlocked and the wheels will spin at different speeds. clocking ujoints is maybe an issue with a spool, otherwise no.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help all. I got it all together and did a test drive. It seems to be fixed so it must have been a wheel bearing or one of the U joints had a defect I didn't notice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts