Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Here comes (or approaching) spring in New England, I am thinking about do Axle upgrade for my 06 TJ, Auto. Currently has 33" + 3.5" lift and runs on D30, D35 stock open differential. Because I will be only keeping my Jeep for two more years top, I don't want spend tons of money and time on it and end up lost a lot of money when I sell it. I don't have a lot experience with Jeep, so need your help here to give me some advices. Oh, and the Jeep is my daily drive, 15miles commute from work to home weekday and plan to do some moderate off-road the coming summer.

OK, I am first look at only regear to 4.56 on both D30 and D35. It is about $800 for parts and I will try to do them myself by watching tons of Youtube video.

Second thought was regear to 4.56 and install a super D35 kit with a locker, will be about $2K on this setup.

Third one was go find an used D44 rear and rebuilt with a Kit and regear to 4.56 and also regear front D30 to 4.56(or find a HP30 with 4.56). Had a hard time to find neither D44 nor HP30 around central MA and have no idea how much the final cost will be.

Thank you for your advice

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
For $2k you can get a bolt in 8.8 from ECGS, if you have never done a re gear, then you really don't want to take it on without at least someone with some experience to help out.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
4.56 is not the correct ratio for 33s and the 42rle. You want 4.88s.

How do you plan to use your rig offroad? If you are driving on light trails for the next two years then just leave the D35 open.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For $2k you can get a bolt in 8.8 from ECGS, if you have never done a re gear, then you really don't want to take it on without at least someone with some experience to help out.
But I still have to dump in more money to upgrade the front gear. It will end up more than 2K.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4.56 is not the correct ratio for 33s and the 42rle. You want 4.88s. How do you plan to use your rig offroad? If you are driving on light trails for the next two years then just leave the D35 open.
I need 4.88 to run 33?? I think that is for 35+.

And what is the problem with 42rle? Why it require higher gear from axle?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I need 4.88 to run 33?? I think that is for 35+. And what is the problem with 42rle? Why it require higher gear from axle?
the problem with the 42rle is that it has a SUPER TALL over drive. So while your engine is in overdrive it drops down the rpms really low and you don't get much power and your engine will lug. Therefor bad gas mileage and performance. You can compensate for that by gearing your axles extra low (higher numerically). So for your 42rle and 33s, 4.88 gears will allow to use your overdrive again and you'll get better gas mileage with the 4.88's than you will with the 4.56. I myself have the 42rle and 35" tires and I can't use over drive. I'm regearing to 5.13 gears very soon.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the problem with the 42rle is that it has a SUPER TALL over drive. So while your engine is in overdrive it drops down the rpms really low and you don't get much power and your engine will lug. Therefor bad gas mileage and performance. You can compensate for that by gearing your axles extra low (higher numerically). So for your 42rle and 33s, 4.88 gears will allow to use your overdrive again and you'll get better gas mileage with the 4.88's than you will with the 4.56. I myself have the 42rle and 35" tires and I can't use over drive. I'm regearing to 5.13 gears very soon.
Thank you Nathan. Always learn good stuff from here. My budget looks like keep adding up for the upgrade.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
4.56 is not the correct ratio for 33s and the 42rle. You want 4.88s.

How do you plan to use your rig offroad? If you are driving on light trails for the next two years then just leave the D35 open.
^^^This. I ran my open D35 in the rocks for two years open while I shopped for a D44 and had no issues. If you are planning on selling in a year or two anyway, why dump a bunch of $'s in it that you won't get back?

Just regear what you have to 4.88.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts