Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I was wondering what the front axle from the factory on a 2009 wrangler x would be. I know the rear (on mine) is a Dana 44. Next what is the default gear ratio size for both? Also, what do I need to know about upgrading both axles, gear ratios, and installing a locking differential. What would I need to buy for a job like this?
I'm still new to this sort of thing so plain english please. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
jmgonzales said:
First, I was wondering what the front axle from the factory on a 2009 wrangler x would be. I know the rear (on mine) is a Dana 44. Next what is the default gear ratio size for both? Also, what do I need to know about upgrading both axles, gear ratios, and installing a locking differential. What would I need to buy for a job like this?
I'm still new to this sort of thing so plain english please. Thanks.
More info Jk or JKU?
Auto or manual?
Assuming you have 3.73 w/ the rear 44
front is a D30

Gear changes should only be done by an experienced shop and will cost you up near $2000 w/ lockers or more

Most importantly, what are your plans?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More info Jk or JKU?
Auto or manual?
Assuming you have 3.73 w/ the rear 44
front is a D30

Gear changes should only be done by an experienced shop and will cost you up near $2000 w/ lockers or more

Most importantly, what are your plans?

3.8L JK, Manual transmission. I currently have 33" tires but may possibly go bigger. I live right by some steep, wet, muddy, snowy mountains that average 9500-11000 ft elevation and I live at 7000 ft.
Pretty much wondering what I need and where I can get it. I don't want to get ripped off by any shop looking to make some extra cash.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
jmgonzales said:
3.8L JK, Manual transmission. I currently have 33" tires but may possibly go bigger. I live right by some steep, wet, muddy, snowy mountains that average 9500-11000 ft elevation and I live at 7000 ft.
Pretty much wondering what I need and where I can get it. I don't want to get ripped off by any shop looking to make some extra cash.
Vender section on this site, if you need anything. Or scope the classifieds.

Also, spend some time reading. Get advice. First you need to know what you want to spend and go from there.
There is cheaper ways to go about things.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vender section on this site, if you need anything. Or scope the classifieds.

Also, spend some time reading. Get advice. First you need to know what you want to spend and go from there.
There is cheaper ways to go about things.

Pretty much I want larger gear ratios and locking differentials in the back and front. The advice part is why I'm posting on this forum because there isn't a lot of knowledgeable Jeep guys out here other then some off road shops which I don't know how much experience they may have.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
You have a D44 rear and a D30 front axle. More then likely since you have a manual, you probably have 3.21 gears. Manuals can have the 3.73 upgrade option though but 3.21 were standard with manual transmission.

If you go to Jeep.com and register your Jeep, you can request a build sheet so you will know for sure what options you may have.

If you do a gear change, you want to go to a shop that does gears a lot. It isn't a job for the backyard mechanic no matter how many they claim to have done. Also whatever place you use, get the gears through them so they will honor the warranty for you. Most good off road shops do a lot of gear changes and are a wealth of information for you in this matter.

Also if you do lockers at the same time as gears, it will save you a lot of money in labor cost because the carrier will be removed during the gear change anyways. I had the optional rear Trac-Lok limited slip diff. so I opted for just front lockers and the locker/lsd combo is working great for me. You can find out if you have those on the build sheet also. If not, I would do both front and rear lockers but rears will get you by in the meantime. I just like the limited slip in the snow over the lockers.

You can get a lot of information here but also check with a good shop. Let us know what they recommend and we can let you know if they are leading you down the right path.

Jeep Owners Site - register your Jeep here then request build sheet.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Well I did Yukon 4.88 gears and a Eton E-Locker in the front. I also added Synergy gussets to my D30 front axle to help strengthened it at the same time. I had a very good off road shop do the work and handle everything and it set me back $2500.00 and some change for parts and labor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I did Yukon 4.88 gears and a Eton E-Locker in the front. I also added Synergy gussets to my D30 front axle to help strengthened it at the same time. I had a very good off road shop do the work and handle everything and it set me back $2500.00 and some change for parts and labor.

Assuming you had the lifetime powertrain warranty, did it void this warranty or just parts of it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does this price seem right? The guys at 4WD Hardware said for my Jeep, to get 4.88 gears with install front and back would cost about $1700. They also said for a front/rear air locker with install I'm looking at $2300. That puts it at about $4000. Does that price sound about average? I'm kind of confused and he may have said it would be $2300 for everything total. What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
jmgonzales said:
Does this price seem right? The guys at 4WD Hardware said for my Jeep, to get 4.88 gears with install front and back would cost about $1700. They also said for a front/rear air locker with install I'm looking at $2300. That puts it at about $4000. Does that price sound about average? I'm kind of confused and he may have said it would be $2300 for everything total. What do you guys think?
Assumed the same.

There are other locker options that will be less expensive. Your looking at a air locker and I'm sure the whole kit including the air supply-- might be included in that price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All parts were included, yes. I'm just not sure if it's going to be $2300 total or $4000 total. Which price seems to be correct?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
jmgonzales said:
All parts were included, yes. I'm just not sure if it's going to be $2300 total or $4000 total. Which price seems to be correct?
I do not know the cost of a locker that's the thing. I see gear changes on here go from any in-between $1500-$2000.

I just looked In my Quadratec mag.

The ARB locker is around a $1000
Compressor/air line/parts $400-$500
If there is mark up plus install--there is the
added cost.

Is the jeep a DD? have you considered a LSD like Detroit Truetrac?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do use my jeep daily. I would honestly rather have an air locker just to have the peace of mind knowing that I can engage it when I know I need it.
By the way, thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I do use my jeep daily. I would honestly rather have an air locker just to have the peace of mind knowing that I can engage it when I know I need it.
I thank my lucky stars that I got a do-over on my first jeep and moved up from a JKU Sahara 08 to a JKU Rubicon 08. The lockers I have used twice out on the trail. They give me great comfort that instead of having to be pulled out of a hole or high spot I can press one more button and the jeep drives itself out of problems. I now have a winch as well. Another extra insurance policy of stucklessness. As time goes buy, I get more and more adventurous with the jeep. So yah, I have been enjoying having the lockers.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
jmgonzales said:
jk'n said:
I thank my lucky stars that I got a do-over on my first jeep and moved up from a JKU Sahara 08 to a JKU Rubicon 08. The lockers I have used twice out on the trail. They give me great comfort that instead of having to be pulled out of a hole or high spot I can press one more button and the jeep drives itself out of problems. I now have a winch as well. Another extra insurance policy of stucklessness. As time goes buy, I get more and more adventurous with the jeep. So yah, I have been enjoying having the lockers.
:thumb: x2

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I know what you mean. I have taken my Jeep through some rough areas. I just bought a new bumper (which I still need to install) and not only am I going to get my gears done but I also am going to buy a winch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts