Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone Im new to this forum and I'm new to the jeep world(btw its amazing:happyyes:) I recently got a 2001 Jeep Wrangler tj and I'm about to put some 35 AT tires on them and get it lifted 4 inches. I've read that my jeep needs to be regeared?? What does that mean? What does it do? And what are all the things I need to buy to do this? My next question is I want new axles on my jeep what do you guys recommend me to get for the front and rear?? It needs to be a good decent price and good for off-roading and also what does new axles do? Thanks guys for the help

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
re gear means lower ratio than stock to get the larger tires rolling. Example, most stock ratios for TJ was / is 3.07. With a 5 speed you should go to 4.88, the 3 speed auto should be 4.56. I am 4.10 and 35's and saving to re gear. anything less than 4.10 and you'll be in 3rd and 4th gear.
(this is with a 4.0 motor 4 cylinders need more gear)

There is a lot to do to run 33's and 35's many $'s. and for sure it is not bolt and go...

rear axle replacement if you have the Dana 35, brakes, steering, chrome moly shafts in the front are some of the mods off the top of my head.
4 inch is not enough "lift" for 35's. You will need either flat fenders or a 1 inch body lift. (I actually recommend both, but the body will set you up for the tummy tuck)
Oh yeah, you'll really need to consider a SYE and adj. control arms not a t case drop.

If you are in the Raleigh area I can't recommend East Coast Gear Supply in Briar Creek enough!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
both axles have to be geared the same, if you plan on using 4 wheel drive.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
1st What engine and transmission do you have? Next verify what rear axle your have. Dana 35 will have a round rubber fill cap on the diff cover, a Dana 44 will have a metal square fill plug on the cover. Also gears unless you know what your doing is not a DIY job.. it takes special tools. You can make 35's work with 4" lift, but you need to do other things, new fenders for example. Also don't forget about mods to your transfer case with a SYE slip yoke eliminator and new rear drive shaft.. your looking at several thousands of dollars to do it right...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 2.5l and I'm pretty sure it has a Dana 35 in the rear and my next question is do I buy the kit to regear my axles to 4.88 and what is a sye slip yoke eliminator

·
Registered
971 Posts
IMO judging from the questions you are asking [not a put down we all have to learn] you are in way over your head and you need much research and much better understanding of what's involved to do this type of mod and the cost's involved so do your research, decide what your overall goal is and make a plan before you start to throwing parts at it that may or may not be compatible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I build diffs quite often and without a good mechanical background or understanding and the proper tools its not something you want to tackle without guidance due to severe parts damage meaning more money. Due extensive research not just going by what people say you need and find what works best for you as it may not be the best option for you

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
if you have a 2.5, I have been there, done that. I would not even consider 35's at all if it is going to be drive at highway speeds, especially with stock axles.
33's and 4.88 gears is what I had for a while, and it did good for the most part on the highway.
This is only my opinion from what I have learned on my own Jeep.
Re-gearing is not that hard to do with the right tools and experience, but not something you would want to learn to do as a first time thing.

I always tell folks that are new to this that 31's and lockers will go much further than 35's with a broke axle any day. What cash you save on tires/lift you can easily spend on a winch and lockers.
I wheeled mine with 31's then lifted it to run 33's with lockers front and rear for over a year with a group that only runs 37" and up tires. I always went where they did.
Good luck on whatever you decide

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought mine with 35s already on it and a 2.5 inch sky jacker lift and it runs great. I guess my question here is how would I find out how my jeep is geared? Take it to a garage? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I bought mine with 35s already on it and a 2.5 inch sky jacker lift and it runs great. I guess my question here is how would I find out how my jeep is geared? Take it to a garage? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
look at the rear diff from the back and see if the metal tag is there. Then jack up the rear (both tires off the ground) mark the drive shaft and spin a wheel. Count the number of times the mark rotates past you. That is roughly your gearing.

3 spins per tire rotation is 3.07, 4 spins is 4.10, 4 1/2 should be 4.56 amd so on...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
^^ Yep what he said. Just to clarify, you spin the wheel 1 complete revolution while counting the turns of the drive shaft.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts