Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to be getting a B&M short shifter for my 98 2.5l and I would prefer to install it myself. Is there anything special I should know about before I get into this lil project or should it be done by a professional?? Thanks for any feedback. I just learn as I go with my baby so I'm all about getting someone elses opinions or advice. Thanks again

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
2018 JLUR on tons and 40's.
6,855 Posts
easy install if you can find all the bolts in your center console. The shifter "clips" into the tranny housing. There is a detent on top that you push in and turn. Once you turn that the whole shifter lifts up. You will probably have to make some modifications to the console and possibly the tub due to your excessive 3 inch body lift. I doubt you will want to run the rubber boot around the shifter as well. It will make staying in gear quite a bit harder. :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The install was pretty easy and straight forward on my TJ with a 1" BL. Might be a bit of a pain with 3" like Mr. C said.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the console out right now and it shifts great so hopefully I won't have to make many mods after the ss is installed. Thanks

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I would recomend you pm UPINAR (look for him in the member list section) From memory he has an B&M short shifter on his 3" body lift.

·
Registered
359 Posts
There is no complications with the 3" BL. In fact the reason i installed the B&M in my jeep was to remedy some shifting problems with the stock shifter and it worked like a dream. The shifting is clean, precise, and alot smoother then before. Speed shifting is fun inthe mud and the sand. Just remove the small portion of the floor pan, the 4 bolts out the tranny and swap em out. Remember to run a bead of silicone around the new shifter base so you cant get no moisture in the tranny. And enjoy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts