Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install a lower boot on my crappy BA/10 shifter. I cannot figure out how to separate the upper shifter from the lower shifter (the ball thing that goes to the transmission). I whacked with a hammer and it does not budge. Do I need to use shim or something to get the locks out?
Let me know, I can post some pictures to show what I'm talking about...

·
Registered
4,177 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I saw that video and I also saw some Ebay listing for BA/10 with linkage removed and it looks a bit different. In essence, AX15 has two holes where the pressure plate (or what ever) that grabs it and BA/10 seems to have beeds that runs the entire circumference of the linkage and at three different positions!! what a horrible design...
Correct?

The other final option is to cut it, install the boot and re-weld.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Thanks! I saw that video and I also saw some Ebay listing for BA/10 with linkage removed and it looks a bit different. In essence, AX15 has two holes where the pressure plate (or what ever) that grabs it and BA/10 seems to have beeds that runs the entire circumference of the linkage and at three different positions!! what a horrible design...
Correct?

The other final option is to cut it, install the boot and re-weld.
yikes, yeah idk..... i wouldn't cut and welded it i have never had luck with welded shifters they always seem to break eventually. I would cut the boot then glue it back together with black RTV if i couldn't get it apart.

Maybe take a adjustable wrench and adjust it to the lower shaft then stick a bar or a piece of wood under the wrench and try to pry up on it and pry it off. Or take the shifter out of the jeep and lock the lower portion in a vice and try to pry it off with a pry bar.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yikes, yeah idk..... i wouldn't cut and welded it i have never had luck with welded shifters they always seem to break eventually. I would cut the boot then glue it back together with black RTV if i couldn't get it apart.

Maybe take a adjustable wrench and adjust it to the lower shaft then stick a bar or a piece of wood under the wrench and try to pry up on it and pry it off. Or take the shifter out of the jeep and lock the lower portion in a vice and try to pry it off with a pry bar.

I will post back in next few days. If I cut it, I will go to a professional welder to get this done...:bop:

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I will post back in next few days. If I cut it, I will go to a professional welder to get this done...:bop:

Welding hardened steel is not a good idea the area around the weld becomes brittle and snaps no mater how good it is welded. I would seriously avoid cutting it unless you don't mind welding it back together after it breaks off repeatedly.

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
I just looked in my Factory Service Manual. All it says is "Remove the transmission shift tower dust boot (A).

What I would try to do is pry up on the outer ring of the rubber where it contacts the transmission tower and see if that gets the large end off. Then wrangle the small end over whatever is in the way. Use some dish soap as lubricant.

I assume you have your shift knob and interior shift boot off. I couldn't find where it tells how to separate the upper shifter shaft from the lower shifter shaft.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Team, I finally got it out. One of my co-worker told me to use a pickle fork and whack it before getting back to my scheduled plan of "curse and cut off". Well, it worked.
Here are some pictures.

Thanks for all the help!!!!:worthy:

Reactions: goodtimes88

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Vijay. I need to do the same thing to mine. Where did you get the replacement rubber and clip that goes in the shift handle or was you able to reuse the old one? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If you google yj shift lever clip or " " isolator they come right up

·
Registered
451 Posts
So, looking at these pics... Does that mean I have a BA/10 shifter on my AX15?

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts