Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know the AX15 is a better transmission, and my 1989 YJ is being rebuilt. I have already rebuilt the 4.2 completely. I would like to stay as close to OEM in the drive train as possible. Is there anything wrong with the BA10? I don’t plan on wheeling it or missing it. More of a Daily driver. I want to run 33s or 35s. I have already defeated the front and rear to 4.88 and chro axles. (Bought then from a dumb kid for 100 bucks new in the box). The 231 already has the SYE on it. 4 inch lift with 2 inch body lift. Fox shocks and yea. I really don’t want to start piecing together stuff from 4 different years of YJ and use 13 different adapters (exaderateing). So what can I do to make the BA10 more reliable and will it be ok for my application. And the BA10 is the 89.5 just before they swapped to ax15.

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
If there's nothing wrong with it just keep using it. Which brings to mind the saying "If it ain't broke, I can fix it till it is broke".

I think all you can do is perhaps change the fluid to a synthetic transmission fluid.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree it is just it needs rebuilt. However they want 700 for the rebuild. That’s the cost of an AX15. But I would like to avoid dropping the cash on it just to replace later. But if there was a way to build the BA10 stronger it makes more sense to do it now. Like I said I want to keep the OEM stuff but I also want to be able to drive my Jeep without the worry.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
“light-duty, passenger car transmission used by AMC Jeep from 1987 until mid-1989 in the YJ Wrangler” mine was manufactured right before the switch. I just want to know if it would be ok running my current setup. Also if there are any upgrades I can buy to make it stronger as the budget accounts for a new or rebuild anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
'89's still came with the BA/10. I guess till they ran out of inventory before switching to the AX-15. I still have one in mine. I plan on running with mine until I blow it up, then dropping in an AX-15. IMHO it works great for me in town and on the freeway, but anytime I head off pavement I tend to go easy on it due to it being the weakest link on MY drivetrain. For the cost of repairs and availability of parts, I would seriously think of going towards The AX-15 rather than dump money into the Peugeot.

I get the whole "Keeping it stock" thing, But your rig is anything but stock anymore with your suspension and drivetrain improvements. Those bigger tires are going to put a little more strain on your already underbuilt tranny.

The question I would be asking myself is what would I rather break, A $1000 tranny or a $100 axle. Your drivetrain is only as good as it's weakest link.

If you don't want to piece it together, Advance Adapters has everything you need so you wont have to scrounge up from salvage yards

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
$700.00 for a rebuilt BA10 OR $700.00 for a used AX15?
If the seller guarantees the AX15, that's what I would do.
You can advertise in the forum classifieds or CL for an AX15 at a better price.
I see used BA10s on CL from time to time in the $100.00 range.

If I were in your position, I'd continue to use the BA10 and start saving up for the used AX15. I don't know of anything that can be done to help the BA10 except changing the fluid to a synthetic fluid. Just try to be as gentle as possible on your transmission until you have the dough to make the swap.

Not that I necessarily recommend it, but I put a can of STP in my worn BA10 and it helped second gear shifts a little. I can really hear the trans grumble if I drive alongside the Jersey barriers with my doors off.

Here's some great information on the BA10
The Novak Guide to the Peugeot BA10/5 Transmission

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. I’m just concerned because I am useing the 4.2 and not the 4.0. Also my 231 is the 21 spline. The swap would be expensive because the adapters. 800 for the Bellhousings and such along with 250 for the tCase plus the cost of the tranny. But I’ll just save up for the ax15 I think unless there is something better?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts