Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,
I am swapping out the bad ba10 trans from my 88 yj 4.2l. I took out the old tranny out and got the new ax15 in but it looks like the front (stock) driveshaft is coming up short. is the ax15 longer then the Peugeot ba10/5? should I buy a new one or is it just something I'm doing wrong? I'm stuck as of now so anything helps thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just did the same swap on my son's jeep about 6 months ago and everything bolted in fine. His is also an 88, no lift and stock drive shafts. Are you only changing the trans or trans and transfer case? If the latter is it the same transfer case? Please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its the tcase that came with the ax15 out of a 92 yj. so its an np231 (the same as what was in it) but not what was attached to the ba10. is the stock drive shaft on the 88 telescoping?

·
Super Moderator
12,716 Posts
Post some pics of what you have. The stock '88 driveshaft should have a slip yoke that inserts into the transfer case.

Have you tried measuring the length of:
transmission?
transfer case?
bell housing?
driveshaft?

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The front driveline should be telescoping. The rear driveline is a slip yoke.
I did this same swap in my '89 a couple years ago

1 - 5 of 5 Posts