Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I had a friend, (Who is a mechanic) do a test on the radiator to check and see if there was compression in the coolant. This is a chemical test and there wasn't any. I bypassed my heater core, but I'm still losing coolant and when it's wet outside you can really see smoke coming out the back until it warms up. Could this be a manifold gasket problem? :banghead:

·
Really?
6,455 Posts
OK, I had a friend, (Who is a mechanic) do a test on the radiator to check and see if there was compression in the coolant. This is a chemical test and there wasn't any. I bypassed my heater core, but I'm still losing coolant and when it's wet outside you can really see smoke coming out the back until it warms up. Could this be a manifold gasket problem? :banghead:
If there is vapor coming from the tailpipe when its wet outside, this is probably normal condensation coming out of the exhaust system.
Do you smell a sweet coolant-like smell coming from the tailpipe?
Also, have you checked to see if there is any coolant in the oil?
Normally you can put a pressure tester on the radiator, pump it up and generally find the leak. If the manifold or manifold gasket were leaking, more often than not you would see the coolant running down the side of the block. If you have a bad head gasket or a cracked head then you wouldn't.
Have you lost any power? Does the Jeep act like its missing (running rough)?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did a pressure test on the radiator and couldn't find the leak; it was leaking very slightly though, the pressure came down, but very slowly and very little. It came back negative for cumbustion in the radiator fluid. I replaced the water pump and the temp quage myself, is it possible that I didn't do something right that could be causing this?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found it! It is the manifold, but it's one of the bolts and lock washers where it's leaking from.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts