Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear seat in my TJ is stuck in the upright position because one of the cables from the handle on top to the latch on the side is broken. Can I take the seat out without folding it down? I thought it would make fixing the problem easier. Any other ideas would be welcomed as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Guess I didn't know rear seats had cables. I always push the levers on the bottom in the back of the seat. Easy to remove. Take one of the bolts out on the floor and loosen the other and just swing bracket out of the way, then pull out of other bracket.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Guess I didn't know rear seats had cables. I always push the levers on the bottom in the back of the seat. Easy to remove. Take one of the bolts out on the floor and loosen the other and just swing bracket out of the way, then pull out of other bracket.
They changed rear seat design a little in the 200?'s. BTW, you don't have to loosen anything to get your rear seat out. Tumble it forward, then slide it all the way to one side and it will clear the bracket on the other, then simply pull it out. If it still has the clips on the ends, you have to take those off first...I never put mine back on, they're not needed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The handle is on the top of the seat. My TJ is a 2005. The handle allows the seat to tumble forward. It is stuck in the upright position.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The handle is on the top of the seat. My TJ is a 2005. The handle allows the seat to tumble forward. It is stuck in the upright position.
My 2005 LJ also has a latch also at the top of the seat.... sorry I am of no help on how to get around the latch though....
You can see the latch in this pic:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
the latch location was changed in model year 2003 with the other revisions to the interior that year. despite being stuck you still should be able to remove the rear seat by disengaging the anchor mechanism below the seat.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
It could be that the latch is just not releasing. I had that happen (woirking from my phone so search is a pain) Search on my user name and rear seat and you should find some threads

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can pull one of the two wires running from the handle to the back of the seat all the way out of the hole it is in. The wire appeared to fray and break somehow.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did anyone ever get the rear seat out? I have 2 broken cables on my 04 TJ rear seat, I have tried following the cables down to the end but I cant figure out haw the latch works. If anyone has some pics of they're seat folded up so I can see what to look for would be great.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Vdowd33

If you have got your seat out yet, I can send you some pics of mine that I just got out. I had the same issue that you did where both of the cables were snapped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts