Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
brand new to the forum. I finally got a TJ and I want to get a rear seat. Can't find a used one dont want a new one. a friend has one she doesn't want but hers is from her 01 mine is an 04. Does anyone out there know if an 01 rear seat will mount into an 04? Nobody here seems to know for sure. Also, I think it would be cool if you could mount the seat backwards to look out on where I got to. What do you think? Doable?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
it will fit in the correct direction

im sure you could make brakcets to turn i taround BUT i have a few warnings,

one you will need to move the seatbelts

and second and most important, if you get rearended while someone is sitting there they could lose theri legs,

we had a ford taurus that had back seats lik ehtat and when we got rearended the crumple zone crumpled in and would have crushed who evers leds were there

lastly from experience it is not really all that fun to be facing backwards, you cant be in the conversation, cant hear the radio well, and spend most of the time trying to avoid the eyes of the people behind you

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I would think it would be awesome like camping, or out on a mild trail or something like that, but as far as for everyday I wouldn't think it would be a very good idea. Also what kind of taurus did you have the had a backward facing seat??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks I have been trying for days to get a straight answer about the back seat from wrecking yards and even the dealers. I didnt plan on using the backseat for passengers but thought it would be cool to sit up on the bluff and kick back with the cooler etc. and hey, I remember those wagons. tried to find one about 5 years ago and found out Ford had stopped making them

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
So it was a stock option to have the backwards facing seat in the back, or was it something that you did or had done custom?? Oh and sorry for getting this thread off subject!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
My mom's wagon wasn't a taurus, but she had a third row seat that flipped out from the cargo area. I loved riding in it as a kid because the driver behind us always looked really uncomfortable with two kids staring at them for miles.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
My mom's wagon wasn't a taurus, but she had a third row seat that flipped out from the cargo area. I loved riding in it as a kid because the driver behind us always looked really uncomfortable with two kids staring at them for miles.
LMAO, I cant stand it when little kids just look at me like I have a boogie hangin out my nose.

~Lev

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also with the feet crushing thing if you look at the rear support of a taurs wagon there is the 2 inch thick door and the plastic bumper!

I think the wrangler has a little bit more give the that.

Also if you have the seat backwards it will really be difficult gettin leg room cause all the leg room you get is from the slack you get from the person in front of you. Also the people in front of you will be leaning back and so will the back seat so there will be a big space between the 2 back seats and 0 leg room between the tailgate and the seat. I think its very impracticle and is pointless to do.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
if u dont need someone sitting there, than dont worry about the seat, i would put in the cj7 rear tailgate instad of the swing away door, than you could sit on that,

i cant remember where i saw the write up, but it would definitly be cool, however you would need to relocate your spare, but you could do that for the price of the rear seat, and your jeep would be much more custom and cool

and btw the taurus had two regular facing rows, and then the back facing seats popped up outof where the spare tire was, and you would have your feet resting on the spare.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the advise. I think I'll just put the windshield down and keep reaching behind me for the cooler.

·
Registered
109 Posts
LMAO, I cant stand it when little kids just look at me like I have a boogie hangin out my nose.

~Lev
Heh, I can deal with little kids looking at me, I hate it when you're stuck in traffic and you've got adults staring at you like you've got a booger. Last week I was stuck behind an accident for an hour...this one guy wouldn't stop staring at me...so I stuck a twizzler up my nose and stared back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seat exchange

Just try and see, it wont take much set the seat in folded, push forward and se if the tabs line up or not. I think they will

1 - 15 of 15 Posts