Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are you guys installing your backup cameras to get a view of your trailer hitch?? And by that I mean guys that have a 35" or bigger tire on your spare tire carrier.

I recently installed a spare tire carrier mount camera, not thinking that I wouldn't be able to see my hitch being the hitch is under the tire. I do like the fact that having it located here, I have a real good view of the area behind me.

Do you guys have a screenshot of your camera showing your hitch? I"m curious to see what angle and field of view you get when mounted lower to have a view of the trailer hitch?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't have pics, but I installed my camera centered in the bumper, just above the receiver. My receiver bar has a two inch drop on it, so the ball is in the lower 1/2 of the screen as I back up. Camera is directly in line with the trailer tongue, which seems to work OK for me. I just have to remember, if the screen goes black, I've backed up too far and busted my camera with the tongue.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Where are you guys installing your backup cameras to get a view of your trailer hitch?? And by that I mean guys that have a 35" or bigger tire on your spare tire carrier.

I recently installed a spare tire carrier mount camera, not thinking that I wouldn't be able to see my hitch being the hitch is under the tire. I do like the fact that having it located here, I have a real good view of the area behind me.
I mounted mine in the same location, but I used a Kenwood camera which has different user selectable views.

If I select the "straight down" view, or the "straight down & straight back split screen" view, I have no trouble seeing my hitch area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCaf3C5l8Ck

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mounted mine in the same location, but I used a Kenwood camera which has different user selectable views.

If I select the "straight down" view, or the "straight down & straight back split screen" view, I have no trouble seeing my hitch area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCaf3C5l8Ck
That's pretty cool. But if i could get different angles and it pointed straight down i would be looking at my rim!

Here is my view now

ForumRunner_20150224_110105.jpg

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
What's the model number for that Kenwood camera and how much was it?
CMOS-320. I don't remember, but not the $2 special from Amazon. :D

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts