Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Back up Camera

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  spotco2 
#1 ·
I'm sure there are hundreds of posts about back up cameras, but haven't found the answer I'm looking for. I have always had a back up camera in my trucks. I want one in my Jeep so that I can back up to my trailer on the first try. What camera do you suggest, and what mounting options do I have. I'm afraid that the spair tire mount won't alow me to see my hitch.

#2 ·
Cdaudas,
You're absolutely right, there are a few zillion threads on B/U cameras. I will give you the short version of what I did. My local dealer was really reluctant to "flash" the TIPM for setting up our radio to accept ANY back up camera. In fact, they flat out said no.

So, I did a tiny bit of research and came up with, a whopping $34.00 system!!
Yep, $34 for both the camera and the monitor. All Amazon stuff. it's a camera that is ultra clear and also comes with its own set of LED backup lights too. Together with my 80 watt EACH LED back up bulbs, the backing operations are like DAYLIGHT when backing at night. I mounted the 4.3" ultra clear color monitor right in the tray, in the top of the dash. The whole system to me around a day to install, not including fabricating a bracket for the camera.

Now, one thing, while many cameras out there do have a 170 degree view, if not mounted properly, you may loose site of your trailer ball. So, something to think about. Anyway, you'll get lots of answers here on who's done what. So far, I love our system. I applaud the boys who've setup cameras that will display on the regular GPS/Radio screen. I just didn't want to fight with my local dealer or, drive for days to find one that would do the flash. This works just great for us. Your choice.
Scott

Reactions: Wandell
#4 ·
You can get a complete system at Newegg for about $25. You just have to have a bit of patience as it comes from China via USPS.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADF45ND3263

The kit includes a drill to punch a hole in the bumper for the camera. I routed mine from the back bumper though the drain in the jack compartment, connected the wires to the passenger side back up light, and run the feed along the passenger side carpet, up behind the center dash, where I connected it up to the camera that I mounted (sticky back) under the power window switches via a small drill hole in the plastic for the feed line.

Hopefully the pics will help...

Attachments

#10 ·
Who are you asking this of? If me, FIRE UP, I don't have a trailer ball to see. Not sure I could anyways. If I had one, it would be below my spare and, I can't see the bottom of the spare so, i doubt I could see the trailer ball unless it was an excessively longer slider for my receiver.
Scott

#11 ·
I am looking for a similar set up on mine also.

As far as not seeing the ball, it's not that big of a deal. I've seen several people do a little trick on their personal trailers that remedy not seeing the ball.

Set your camera up how you want it. Hook up your trailer and connect it to the ball. Then look at the bottom of the screen of your camera and see how much of the trailer you can actually see. Then either paint a line across the tongue or wrap it with a bright color tape in the spot that lines up with the bottom of your display.

As long as your camera angle does not move, just center the trailer and back up until the paint or tape line is at the bottom of your display and you will be on your mark or very close to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.