Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first bought my JKUHR, I owned a boat. I wanted to add a backup camera to my existing 430n stereo to help in hooking up the trailer. I did some research and settled on the MyGig lockpick air:
https://www.coastaletech.com/wranglercamkit.htm

got everything run and all working.... But it is (and always has been) doing some strange things...

I know that if the factory stereo system is cold (below freezing) it doesn't even power up. Also as it is "thawing" out, sometimes the display will work, but the sound will not. When everything gets to be above freezing, all works great.

However, since I hooked up the lockpick/backup camera, my GPS has been doing some weird things. The live and average speeds no longer function.
Now... my GPS software seems to have to "re-launch" itself several times before it actually works. I know that my maps are out of date (2016...) but that still seems weird to me. How many times should I have to tell it to remind me in a year before it will actually function????

Originally, I thought that I would use a lot of the features of the lockpick air, but I just haven't.

The only real benefit that I see from having the lockpick (aside from the backup cam) is that addresses can be entered while the vehicle is moving (by my passenger... of course)

I am thinking about selling the lockpick air unit, but keeping the camera so I can use it with another solution...

Couple things...

1.) What is the best solution for having just a backup cam without all the other bells and whistles?

2.) Not sure if anyone would be interested in just the lockpick (without the camera) or if I would have to try and sell it as an entire package.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I first bought my JKUHR, I owned a boat. I wanted to add a backup camera to my existing 430n stereo to help in hooking up the trailer. I did some research and settled on the MyGig lockpick air:
https://www.coastaletech.com/wranglercamkit.htm

got everything run and all working.... But it is (and always has been) doing some strange things...

I know that if the factory stereo system is cold (below freezing) it doesn't even power up. Also as it is "thawing" out, sometimes the display will work, but the sound will not. When everything gets to be above freezing, all works great.

However, since I hooked up the lockpick/backup camera, my GPS has been doing some weird things. The live and average speeds no longer function.
Now... my GPS software seems to have to "re-launch" itself several times before it actually works. I know that my maps are out of date (2016...) but that still seems weird to me. How many times should I have to tell it to remind me in a year before it will actually function????

Originally, I thought that I would use a lot of the features of the lockpick air, but I just haven't.

The only real benefit that I see from having the lockpick (aside from the backup cam) is that addresses can be entered while the vehicle is moving (by my passenger... of course)

I am thinking about selling the lockpick air unit, but keeping the camera so I can use it with another solution...

Couple things...

1.) What is the best solution for having just a backup cam without all the other bells and whistles?

2.) Not sure if anyone would be interested in just the lockpick (without the camera) or if I would have to try and sell it as an entire package.
Simplest way is rca to head unit, positive to acc, and negative to ground.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Simplest way is rca to head unit, positive to acc, and negative to ground.
He has a stock head unit. You can't simply plug a camera into it. And, that does nothing for telling the radio to show the backup camera when the vehicle is in reverse.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

1. Buy a camera harness like this. Plug the harness into the back of the radio and the camera into the RCA plug. Then, have the dealer flash the vehicle with the sales code for a backup camera. If you don't want to go the dealer route, purchase one of these and flash the vehicle yourself.

2. Plenty of people by the LockPick without cameras. You should have no issue selling it.

Reactions: ghopper

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's weird... Since I have owned it, the stereo has done the same thing in the cold... Maybe it is time to take a trip to the dealership.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok... we will see how it goes... one mygig lockpick air for sale... I will post in all the right places. ;)

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After removing the lockpick, things are exactly the same... but different... LOL

still have the same issue with the cold weather, but after it warms up, everything appears to work correctly... Including all functions of the GPS.

From what I have been reading all over forums, the 430n stereo is famous for having the GPS locking up. I am starting to look closer at dates posted to see if there is a correlation between the lockups and cold weather.... I am wondering if the hard drive in the 430n stereo just doesn't work well in cold weather on the ones that fail.. hmmmmmm

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So... I am a little indecisive at this point... I sold my Lockpick and am now in the market for a OBD flash for the backup camera.

I can:

Pay the stealership to flash it

Purchase one of these, along with a wiring adapter, and do it myself... of which I have no problem doing
https://www.infotainment.com/collections/all/products/obd-genie-chrysler-dodge-jeep-rear-view-camera-programmer-c-rvc

Or... just replace the whole stereo with an aftermarket.

My dilemma is that I am currently having the GPS lockup screen that so may other people are having and it seems that the solution is to keep replacing the 430n until I get one that works... Fortunately, I am still under warranty.

I believe that with every different 430n that I end up having to put in there, I can just use the OBD Genie to reflash it if needed (flashes the BCM, so I shoudn't have to)... I hope....

Just wondering how many times I have to open up my dash to replace something that is supposed to work...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I believe that with every different 430n that I end up having to put in there, I can just use the OBD Genie to reflash it if needed (flashes the BCM, so I shoudn't have to)... I hope....
One flash is all you need. The code will stay with the vehicle, regardless of how many different 430N radios you install.

If you go aftermarket, you don't need a flash.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
More JK/JKU 10A/HR/Recon rear camera install info

Cmoore73 recommend reviewing this, and below other links... http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/b...eed-is-three-parts-915529-2.html#post16278137

That is what we did. The dealer flash is a ~15 minute job. If you have them do some other work, and you bought the Jeep there, you may be able to talk the service manager into authorizing the flash for no additional cost to you. The camera is visible in the bottom center 1st photo. Recommend a good Milwaukee bi-metal hole cutter the one that comes with camera isn't up to the task (the special edition bumper steel is thick).

There's a ton of info on the forum especially for the TJ and JK jeeps. I posted below photos here in another thread - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/d...mera-installation-228305-25.html#post30706705

Good info/photos to how get into your Jeep's dash here http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/diy-2013-jku-backup-camera-installation-228305.html#post3515259

===============

happyfirst posted this dealer instruction sheet (sometimes then claim they don't know how to do this to sell you a Mopar solution...

"Our dealer didn't know either, but they wanted to help. I found the below instructions online, and then they were able to do it.

PARK VIEW REAR BACK-UP CAMERA VEHICLE CONFIGURATION

Vehicle VIN must be updated with the sales code of the added accessory in order to enable system functionality. Using
the DealerCONNECT website and the StarSCAN diagonstic tool, complete the procedure below:
1. Log on to https://dealerconnect.chrysler.com
2. In the “Vehicle Option” screen under the “Global Claims System” category in the “Service” tab, enter the vehicle VIN
and add the sales code XAC (Park View Rear Back-Up Camera) as a “Dealer Installed Option”.
3. Confirm that the new sales code has been successfully added to the VIN.
With the StarSCAN diagnostic tool connected to both the internet (via Ethernet port or wireless connection) and the
vehicle, follow the steps below:
4. Using the StarScan select the VEHICLE PREPARATION and then select RESTORE VEHICLE CONFIGURATION.
5. Follow the step by step instructions on the StarSCAN to complete the Park View Rear Back-Up Camera vehicle
configuration.
6. When the Park View Rear Back-Up Camera Vehicle Configuration is complete, go to the Validation Process to
verify that the vehicle has been updated.
VALIDATION PROCESS
From the “Initial Start Up” screen on the StarSCAN follow the steps below:
1. Using the StarSCAN follow the menu to ECU VIEW, select TIPMCGW CENTRAL GATEWAY, MORE OPTIONS,
ECU DETAILS and then CONFIG INFO
2. Verify REAR CAMERA PRESET- - - -SET is present. "

===============

This from gvusjonny

Note: all solutions would need additional camera and mounting materials.

Option 1: (Most expensive $289) ALLGIG-XG HS
-This would accomplish the backup cam plus the added functionality, but costs about $100 more then the other two.

Option 2: ($200) NavTool
-Gives me the functionality of option 1 for $90 less. Why wouldn't I do this instead of ALLGIG?

Option 3: ($27 + dealer programming fee) PAC CHYRVD
-This options costs the least, assuming I can get a dealer to program the camera for $100 or less.
-Can anyone confirm if this option will even work on my Jeep?
-Assuming it does, I would get my back up cam, but sacrifice the added functionality in motion.

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
my camera system is a camera and it came with a little 3inch screen. mine is wired to a switch. With the in jeep spare tire carrier cant see out the back very well and it helps for lane changes , it was like 80 bucks at frys. its good to add up to 4 total cameras to the screen and toggle with a button. can be hard wired or wireless, best picture is with the hardwire.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dealership flashed the XAC code today... works great!
Charged me $130 to do it though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.