Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So everytime I hit my brakes, my back up lights come on. I have no idea why this is happening. Unfortunately I'm travelling and have no tools or the ability right now to try to fix this myself, but would like to have the knowledge of why this is happening before I take it in.

This is affecting my rearview camera, as it thinks it's backing up everytime I brake and switches my radio over to camera mode, quite annoying. It's a 2002 Wrangler Sport 4.0. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Check to be certain you have the correct bulbs installed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm willing to bet the people driving right behind you have had to change their pants a few times:D.

·
Registered
738 Posts
If it's wired properly, then you may have a poor ground to the body at one of your tail lights and the current is flowing through the housing to the backup lights to ground on the other side of the vehicle, instead of directly to ground. Remove the cover on the lights and check the tightness of the three bolts holding the light assembly to the body. Also check the bulbs for corrosion. Using any dielectric grease on your electrical contacts to help keep moisture out?
Remove the back up light bulbs, to prevent current flow, if need be. That should help prevent the squealing of brakes behind you (unless your brake lights go off as well). Are your parking light working okay?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I am still trying to understand the rear view camera. You have this on your Jeep? I have heard of putting these in motor homes but not in a Jeep.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I would say whom ever put your cam in and wired to the reverse lights did something wrong ....
It dose work i have same set up in my truck you just have things hooked up wrong

·
Registered
305 Posts
Were the tail light lenses installed upside down? This would put the clear BU lens behind the brake light bulb. At least that is what I did on my TJ once.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts