Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 666 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For all of you interested in a back-up camera, this is all you need. If you have a 430, 430N, or 730N, you can have a back-up camera using your display. I owe a special thanks to two forum members, simadownow6988 and TheJackal, for their detailed instructions, and links to the exact parts.

The license plate camera cannot be mounted with the camera on top since the license plate light is in the way. You have to mount the plate upside down (180 degree rotation), but then, the image is upside down as well. A simple solution is to remove the camera from the license plate, and rotate it 180 degrees. 180 + 180 = 360, and it is back to "normal" operation.

1. License Plate Camera (remember that we had to flip the camera) for $45: TaoTronics® TT-CC17 Waterproof Color CMOS Car License Plate Frame Mount Rear View Backup Camera with 8 IR LED Night Vision (170 Degree Viewing Angle / Distance Scale Line / Zinc Metal Casing / Black)
  2. Harness for $23: You absolutely need this harness. PAC CHYRVD Rear Video Retention Cable For Select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Vehicles
  3. Female to female video coupler for $1.50: Amazon.com: C2G / Cables to Go 29507 75-Ohm RCA Video Coupler: Electronics
  4. Jeep Dealer flash/program to activate camera: Cost varies by dealer, some do it for free, some charge a flat rate. I paid $121.
  5. Labor charge: I paid $135.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Now you have me I interested. Off to search the forums for the instructional posts on this camera. My wife will be happy on the rare occasion she drives the jeep! 😁

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Not a bad option but $100 more you can get a Nav TV or Piclock and get more functionality.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quick question...I'm doing this to my jeep and am taking it in for the flash tomorrow. My questin is on the harness, Did you cut yours and modify or just plug it in since wires are paralleled anyways?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quick question...I'm doing this to my jeep and am taking it in for the flash tomorrow. My questin is on the harness, Did you cut yours and modify or just plug it in since wires are paralleled anyways?
There is a hole to plug the harness into NEXT to the factory harness.

·
Registered
310 Posts
No need for any cutting...
Just gather all the the other non-used wiring neatly using zip ties and tuck them aside for possible future access and use.
Now you have what you need for your setup.

·
Registered
568 Posts
An added benefit to using the PAC harness, as it outputs video from the DVD player of the headunit to the set of 3 RCA plugs labeled "output to overhead LCD". I didn't have sound from the 2 audio(red/white) cables, but I did have video on the Yellow RCA plug. Sound played out the speakers as it normally does.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This one for some reason did not work for me, the video just scrolls. I posted another thread looking for answers...but can't figure it out. I had another brand that worked perfect so it can't be wiring?

No need for any cutting...
Just gather all the the other non-used wiring neatly using zip ties and tuck them aside for possible future access and use.
Now you have what you need for your setup.
Thank you.

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok thanks... Just got a 2014 Shara and love it... But I am kinda use to the back up cam on the 13 ford explorer.... I keep looking at the screen...

Now i was just reading over in another thread here that there are two different nav systems in Jeep wranglers... I believe mine is the one with the Garmin system....

What are the differences? Will any dealer know what to do? I mean I try to avoid those places if I can...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok thanks... Just got a 2014 Shara and love it... But I am kinda use to the back up cam on the 13 ford explorer.... I keep looking at the screen...

Now i was just reading over in another thread here that there are two different nav systems in Jeep wranglers... I believe mine is the one with the Garmin system....

What are the differences? Will any dealer know what to do? I mean I try to avoid those places if I can...
If you have a factory unit any dealer should know how to do it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Here's the instructions. Copy, Print it out and give to the service adviser so the tech knows what to do.

PARK VIEW REAR BACK-UP CAMERA VEHICLE CONFIGURATION

Vehicle VIN must be updated with the sales code of the added accessory in order to enable system functionality.

Using the DealerCONNECT website and the StarSCAN diagnostic tool, complete the procedure below:

1. Log on to https://dealerconnect.chrysler.com

2. In the “Vehicle Option” screen under the “Global Claims System” category in the “Service” tab, enter the vehicle VIN
and add the sales code XAC (Park View Rear Back-Up Camera) as a “Dealer Installed Option”.

3. Confirm that the new sales code has been successfully added to the VIN.
With the StarSCAN diagnostic tool connected to both the internet (via Ethernet port or wireless connection) and the
vehicle, follow the steps below:

4. Using the StarScan select the VEHICLE PREPARATION and then select RESTORE VEHICLE CONFIGURATION.

5. Follow the step by step instructions on the StarSCAN to complete the Park View Rear Back-Up Camera vehicle
configuration.

6. When the Park View Rear Back-Up Camera Vehicle Configuration is complete, go to the Validation Process to
verify that the vehicle has been updated.

VALIDATION PROCESS
From the “Initial Start Up” screen on the StarSCAN follow the steps below:
1. Using the StarSCAN follow the menu to ECU VIEW, select TIPMCGW CENTRAL GATEWAY, MORE OPTIONS,
ECU DETAILS and then CONFIG INFO
2. Verify REAR CAMERA PRESET- - - -SET is present.

1 - 20 of 666 Posts