Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 666 Posts

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I used the Gino camera as well. It has been great for me.

But I also went the more expensive route and used Lockpick because it has more features.

I have on demand back-up cam. (I have it set to automatically turns on in reverse, but I can switch to it at any time with the push of a button).

On demand baby cam. (This is a front facing/non mirror image license plate cam mounted to the roll bar)....gotta keep an eye on the little guy. This one is cool because it is IR....so I can keep an eye on him at night when the Jeep is dark. Once he is forward facing, I will move the camara from the roll bar to the front plate.

And my HomeLink runs through my Lockpick with a switched power supply. This is important because it means that there is only power to the Homelink buttons when the vehicle is on.

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
TIP: you are LESS likely to get charged by the dealer for the flash if you take your Jeep in for another service item, such as the automatic transmission TSB, the side mirror recall, or even a simple oil & lube job.

The service advisor has to attach a labor rate to every vehicle that enters the Service area. Think of it as an "Entry Fee".

If you bring the Jeep just for the flash, the dealer has to charge you labor to get the vehicle in. However, if you go in for a TSB, then Chrysler pays the labor and the dealer is more likely do the flash for free once the vehicle is already inside.

In the end, it is at the discretion of the service advisor to charge you for the flash or not. However, he is more likely to do it for free if he has something else to attach the labor to.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Issue resolved

I ordered 5 of these cameras from Amazon and the first 3 came in the black box on top. These for some reason just scrolled on the screen. As I posted earlier I had another brand and model that worked fine when hook up. Some said it was wiring...others said bad camera. So I ordered 2 more last week, same item but these came in the blue box...both worked perfect... So now I am happy...hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
I used the Gino camera as well. It has been great for me.

But I also went the more expensive route and used Lockpick because it has more features.

And my HomeLink runs through my Lockpick with a switched power supply. This is important because it means that there is only power to the Homelink buttons when the vehicle is on.
Questions:

Where did you get the HomeLink buttons?
Does Lockpic have an integrated HomeLink functionality?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Is their anyone that can make up a complete parts list of what I would need to do this mod.? I want to do this to my Rubicon but seems very confusing with all the different idea's, Please and thanks much. I will sent who ever makes up a parts list a frozen pizza of your chose.
Please read the first post. It is exactly what I purchased, and you do not need anything else.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Questions:

Where did you get the HomeLink buttons?
Does Lockpic have an integrated HomeLink functionality?
Ebay - There is a good "Homelink" thread or two around here as well. It was about $25.00 (used).

And yup, I run mine through Lockpick. One of the power outputs for Lockpick is switched....so I don't have to worry about someone sticking a hand in my Jeep and hitting my garage door opener while I'm away.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is the thread that should be a "sticky" for future/interested DIY backup camera installs for JKs. I used it to successfully install a license plate mounted camera (per the OP) - I just purchased what the OP linked to plus some "wire shrink" and lead-free solder.

I spent a couple hours on a lazy Sunday doing the install. It wasn't hard (positive wire to the white with grey stripe wire and the other to the black wire - brain dead easy)... a lot of time was eaten up by me futzing around trying to make the electrical connections perfect and weatherproof so they never have to be redone. I have some experience soldering (and I read how people had intermittent issues using butt connections) so I just soldered the applicable wires and shrink wrapped the exposed metal. Then I wrapped the connections in electrical tape (including the non-soldered connections as I never want them to come undone).

The license plate frame mounted camera was a bit tricky to get perfect on the JK holder.... but I managed by taking my time (it can be done with just the two left-side screws you use to attach your plate - but you will want to cut a notch on the side your actual plate for the camera wire to snake behind it and also you will want to have a large diameter drill bit to put a hole in the plastic wall that sits behind the plate so that you can pass the camera wires through it to the inside of the Jeep's tub (where the pos & ground electrical connections will be made).

Here's three tips re: running the video cable from the rear to up front behind the radio...
1) the carpeting literally pulls out of the sides of the tub and footwell with just a little effort... I didn't have to disconnect anything or pull up all the carpeting... just pulled up the edges (surprisingly simple).
2) make the radio harness connection first - before you do any soldering or anything else in the rear.... actually just drop the long wire that is to run to the rear down the left side within the center dash (gravity is your friend and there's plenty of opening to drop the wire). THEN run the wire back under the footwell carpeting towards the rear (in the footwell area there are two hand tightened/screw-off clips that hold the carpeting down fyi). If you do this then you won't need to do what I did which is to use a snake to pull up the wire behind the radio after making connections in the rear first. It will probably save you some time - I was lucky and had a 1/8th round wooden dowel about 4 feet in length to use as a snake... if I didn't I would have been screwed as I didn't have any other way to pull the wire up towards the radio.
3) There's a great video online of someone doing a camera install - I want to say his name is Ferraro. It's great except for one thing... he does some cutting and resoldering of the Chrysler radio harness... don't do that part. You don't need to. There's plenty of room behind the dash for everything to be tucked in and you will be wasting your time trying to figure out what to cut and resolder when none of that is necessary (you can just plug it in!). I know he meant well by showing everyone how he did this, but honestly as someone with engineering background I know engineering OCD when I see it... that was a prime example.

Today I had the camera activated by a local dealer for 1/2 hour of labor charge. I had to print off and bring the instructions for the Tech. It was worth it. Everything works perfectly. The license plate camera is obviously a little offset from center, but that matters not... I just wanted a way to gauge distance and to make sure no little folks were behind me when I throw it into reverse.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've seen several kits that include a bracket for mounting the camera inside the spare wheel, attached to the wheel/tire carrier. The kits are hundreds of dollars. Has anyone seen such a bracket sold standalone?

·
Registered
108 Posts
The new Jeep is not even home and you guys are costing me more money:).

I just saw this yesterday and I had already ordered the hitch to install
and told the wife we'll we have to pull the rear light anyway might as
well do this install at the same time.

I went with the camera that you have to drill the hole for, I did
order an extra one just in case there is a problem with one.

Is there a mark on that Camera that shows witch side is up??
This is the one I ordered.

Amazon.com : 1/4" CCD Flush Mount Waterproof Truck Car Reverse Backup Rear View Camera : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics

Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
The new Jeep is not even home and you guys are costing me more money:).

I just saw this yesterday and I had already ordered the hitch to install
and told the wife we'll we have to pull the rear light anyway might as
well do this install at the same time.

I went with the camera that you have to drill the hole for, I did
order an extra one just in case there is a problem with one.

Is there a mark on that Camera that shows witch side is up??
This is the one I ordered.

Amazon.com : 1/4" CCD Flush Mount Waterproof Truck Car Reverse Backup Rear View Camera : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics

Thanks
There is nothing to indicate up...you need to hook it up to a monitor before you make the final push into the bumper.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks,

I think I came up with a way to test it in the house first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the new jeep is not even home and you guys are costing me more money:). I just saw this yesterday and i had already ordered the hitch to install and told the wife we'll we have to pull the rear light anyway might as well do this install at the same time. I went with the camera that you have to drill the hole for, i did order an extra one just in case there is a problem with one. Is there a mark on that camera that shows witch side is up?? This is the one i ordered. amazon.com : 1/4" ccd flush mount waterproof truck car reverse backup rear view camera : Vehicle backup cameras : Car electronics thanks
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
108 Posts
plug it in to the video input on your TV and hold the positive and negative wires to a 9v battery. Works fine. Then you can mark up.
We'll I ordered two cameras just in case something was wrong with one, well
one came without the screw on end.

I had a 12volt power adapter and tested both cameras to use the best one,
well hooked straight to the TV we got a Black and White grainy picture on
both units. Hopefully we will get a better picture when we hookup to the
head unit.

We did get the white lines with distance showing up in the picture.

Now for the dealer to just get our jeep to us.

41 - 60 of 666 Posts