Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 wrangler unlimited Sahara. I was driving to work and had my rear defrost on and my back window popped and shattered into a million pieces. I saw where this is pretty common for jeeps. It smelled electrical and I'm wondering if anyone else who this has happened to smelled something electric or if I have a wiring problem. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,456 Posts
First I have hear of this, but only been around for 2 yrs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Had it happen to a rav4. As it did w me, usually happens when the door is shut.

From what I found when I searched the rav forum it wasn't unheard of and most ppl were saying it probably took a rock or something that compromised it earier.

I drove about 20 miles on a dirt roads the day before at 40-50mph. I wasn't using defrost. Next morning I got in shut the door and boom.

It's tempered hence tons of tiny pieces of glass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,968 Posts
It's not "common" for JK's, but it has happened to a number of owners. There have been some older model JK's where there was a problem with how the rear glass was manufactured. I don't think the rear defog caused it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are my rear defrost wires. It smells burnt and I think the glass got too hot. I had some wiring issues resolved at a dealership dealing with the horn not sounding and the jeep not starting. Could they have messed up the wiring to the defrost or are those two separate things?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,968 Posts
These are my rear defrost wires. It smells burnt and I think the glass got too hot. I had some wiring issues resolved at a dealership dealing with the horn not sounding and the jeep not starting. Could they have messed up the wiring to the defrost or are those two separate things?
After seeing the photos I guess it's possible that the rear defog contributed to it. Since there were prior electrical issues, and the connections melted, there has to be wiring problems. Whether the dealer did something when they took care of the initial repair, that might not be able to be proven. They're going to have to troubleshoot the electrical system and determine why an overload didn't trip a fuse or why the defog switch didn't time itself out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
Just a question, how long was the defog on? These things heat up super quick, and have an auto shut off timer on them. I hardly ever use mine on any of my Jeeps unless absolutely necessary and I also try to clear most of the snow off before I turn mine on. They heat the glass up real quick. Was it possible yours didn't time out and stayed on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a question, how long was the defog on? These things heat up super quick, and have an auto shut off timer on them. I hardly ever use mine on any of my Jeeps unless absolutely necessary and I also try to clear most of the snow off before I turn mine on. They heat the glass up real quick. Was it possible yours didn't time out and stayed on?
It was on for probably about 10-15 min. It was on really low and I honestly forgot it was even on. It definitely did not time out and I have to say I will not be using it again. Kinda makes me wonder if something is up with my wiring since it didn't time out
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top