Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backcountry owners,

I'm looking at a Backcountry JKU and wanted to see how you liked yours. The one I am looking at has the rear e-locker. Also, is it hard to remove the decals?

I am leaning toward this over a similarly priced Rubicon because it has heated seats (got to please the wife and help justify owning 3 cars) and the AEV bumpers (which I would buy for the Rubicon).

Most likely I would not do any excessivley hard off-roading or rock climbing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Backcountry owners,

I'm looking at a Backcountry JKU and wanted to see how you liked yours. The one I am looking at has the rear e-locker. Also, is it hard to remove the decals?

I am leaning toward this over a similarly priced Rubicon because it has heated seats (got to please the wife and help justify owning 3 cars) and the AEV bumpers (which I would buy for the Rubicon).

Most likely I would not do any excessivley hard off-roading or rock climbing.

Thanks!
Olin, I replied to your post in the XP thread, but will chime in here for ya also.

1st the Tru-Lok was a deal killer for me as well when I was looking, I had it as a must have option. I call it my $1500 button lol

2nd the BC is out of production, so whatcha see is whatcha get. I found mine in the Valley, with the options, color I wanted, and jumped on Southwest and had it in a few hours Haha.

If your thinking XP there was one in New Braunfels but I haven't looked lately.

As for the decals, (which nobody seems to want, so if ya left em on you be that rare bird lol) I just parked the Jeep out in the sun all day and peeled em off. It was kinda a PITA but they come off OK. I used a plastic blade and some goo gone on a microfiber rag. Some folks have tipped the detail guys at the dealership to have them removed. There isn't a clear coat over the decals so your good to go either way. Do not use a Heat gun (maybe a blow dryer) there is a fine line between to much heat and the decals will break and you'll end up with a glob of :censored:

I didn't want all leather seats cuz were beach peeps and they get hot so the BC seats was a nice compromise, although I'm thinking the mesh part will collect sand and crumbs lol but I'm good with that.

And the AEV stuff is all plug and play so if that's the bumper style and look your after, you have plenty options to spend your $$$$ on

Carry on

·
Registered
611 Posts
IMHO the Backcountry is way overpriced when you can get yourself a Rubicon for the same price range. And HerJeepNotMine is spot on with the seats... do you want something with leather to run to the mall, or do you want something that you will enjoy with the top off, etc.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Decals are easy. I just bought a '16 Freedom Edition that has a large military star decal on the hood. It was a bit much for my taste so a few minutes with the hair dryer and then some 3M adhesive remover and it was gone.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We just got ours last week, and we love it. I priced up every option combo you can imagine with the other models, and the price is fairly comparable to getting the same options on a Sport or Sahara. We wanted the heated seats and the Tru-Lok all the other goodies, so it was a good deal for us. But the hot button for my wife was the Xtreme Purple paint, which you can only get with the BC. If you don't want that color then you can probably save a bit by just ordering a Sport or Sahara with the options you want.

I don't know about the previous posters statement that the BC is out of production, we ordered ours 5 weeks ago and it was one of the first ones the dealer had ever seen. According to my salesman we can still order one as of 2 or 3 days ago. If its true that they are out of production then I am really glad we got ours when we did!

I did not even realize it has the AEV bumper, I need to check out some of the options for that! Love the seats too, but we are ordering some seat covers anyway, keep the dog hair off the mesh which will be hard to keep clean for us. I love the wheel/tire pkg it came with, looks exactly like we wanted. I am installing spacers today though... 1.25". As for the graphics, we were iffy on them, but they have grown on us and we are leaving them on. They are more subtle than you think, and it breaks up the purple a bit and gives it a little more custom look.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh not sure if you are planning to lease vs buy, but the lease deals are significantly better on every other special edition except the Backcountry. For some reason the residual values are 67% on the Black Bear, Hard Rock, Anniversary, etc, but the BC is the same as the standard models at 62%. Makes for about a $60 difference in payment, so we ended up just buying ours.

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
We just bought a purple JKU BC as well. When we bought it we were looking at ordering one so we could get it with the options we wanted. But we found out that purple was out of production. We could order another color, but not purple. As the wife wanted purple, it is after all HER Jeep, we were in a bind. We were looking at waiting for the HyperGreen color, but we found a purple one within driving distance. We offered less than I thought he would sell it for, and the accepted.
As to value of the BC package, it cost us about $500 more than ordering a Sahara with the options we wanted, most of which were part of the BC package. So, for $500 we got purple (not available on the Sahara otherwise), better metal bumpers, and the nicer (to us) wheels / tires of the BC. I think the BC package was a bargain. And to my knowledge it is still in production, you just can't order a purple one.

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
Oh, we also looked at a Rubicon. It was going to be about a grand more for a Rubicon with the same basic options. The Rubicon would have some nice parts that the Backcountry did not, but we are not hard core wheelers so that was not worth the extra grand to us. I did consider it, and if money was no object I probably would have gone for a Hard Rock. But I don't have that kind of financial fortitude, so we drew the line where we did.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We just bought a purple JKU BC as well. When we bought it we were looking at ordering one so we could get it with the options we wanted. But we found out that purple was out of production. We could order another color, but not purple. As the wife wanted purple, it is after all HER Jeep, we were in a bind. We were looking at waiting for the HyperGreen color, but we found a purple one within driving distance. We offered less than I thought he would sell it for, and the accepted.
As to value of the BC package, it cost us about $500 more than ordering a Sahara with the options we wanted, most of which were part of the BC package. So, for $500 we got purple (not available on the Sahara otherwise), better metal bumpers, and the nicer (to us) wheels / tires of the BC. I think the BC package was a bargain. And to my knowledge it is still in production, you just can't order a purple one.
Thanks for the clarification, and that makes sense. We wanted purple as well, it is my wife's favorite color and that was the main reason we wanted the BC. Glad we ordered it when we did!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMHO the Backcountry is way overpriced when you can get yourself a Rubicon for the same price range. And HerJeepNotMine is spot on with the seats... do you want something with leather to run to the mall, or do you want something that you will enjoy with the top off, etc.
I am comparing a Rubicon and Backcountry at the same price. On these two particular models the things the BC has that the Rubicon doesn't is the AEV bumpers and a 430N while the Rubicon has a front Dana 44, front e-Locker, e-sway bar disconnect and a 4.1 axle ratio.

That being said I plan on off-roading, but nothing hard core so I'm not sure I need the benefits the Rubicon offers.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Boy am I glad I got a 2015. If my wife had seen this Purple Jeep I know there would be one parked outside right now...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Xtreme Purple Pear Coat (Sahara Back Country package only) (production launch 11/02/2015, production end 03/14/2016. Ordering closed 1/21/2016).

Silly me only thinking XP, guess I'm blinded haha
And like many it was the XP we were after so that put us on the BC pkg, nice package

Carry on

·
Registered
319 Posts
I personally think the BC is one of the nicest models available right now (aside from the decals). While easily changed out on other models if you prefer, the wheel/tire package would be a big selling point for me. The KO2s are many times better than the KMs for my needs (I've had both).

Price wise, if I was given the option to pick a basic Rubi or the BC with most of the options I want id have no trouble picking the BC.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I am comparing a Rubicon and Backcountry at the same price. On these two particular models the things the BC has that the Rubicon doesn't is the AEV bumpers and a 430N while the Rubicon has a front Dana 44, front e-Locker, e-sway bar disconnect and a 4.1 axle ratio.

That being said I plan on off-roading, but nothing hard core so I'm not sure I need the benefits the Rubicon offers.
You just stated that the BC has AEV bumpers and a 430N whereas the Rubi has the pieces more essential to off-roading. Then you said you plan on off-roading but you weren't sure you needed the bennies that a Rubi offers?

The Rubi has solid resale like the BC does. So again the biggest thing is do you want the bumpers and radio which you can get much cheaper after the fact.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Depends what you want out of it. I think the rubicon is a "better deal" if you order it exactly as you want it... but if the BC has everything you want... go for it.

Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
Xtreme Purple Pear Coat (Sahara Back Country package only) (production launch 11/02/2015, production end 03/14/2016. Ordering closed 1/21/2016).

Silly me only thinking XP, guess I'm blinded haha
And like many it was the XP we were after so that put us on the BC pkg, nice package

Carry on
Wow so that proves just how lucky I was. We ordered our Jeep on the Jan 21st, without knowing that was the last day to do it. Just dumb luck I decided to call then too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You just stated that the BC has AEV bumpers and a 430N whereas the Rubi has the pieces more essential to off-roading. Then you said you plan on off-roading but you weren't sure you needed the bennies that a Rubi offers?

The Rubi has solid resale like the BC does. So again the biggest thing is do you want the bumpers and radio which you can get much cheaper after the fact.
That makes sense. I just wasn't sure if I needed all the benefits the Rubicon offers if I wasn't going to do any hard core off-roaring.

Thanks all for the advice!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Olin, I replied to your post in the XP thread, but will chime in here for ya also.

1st the Tru-Lok was a deal killer for me as well when I was looking, I had it as a must have option. I call it my $1500 button lol

And the AEV stuff is all plug and play so if that's the bumper style and look your after, you have plenty options to spend your $$$$ on

Carry on
Can you explain the Tru-Lok for those of us new to this, and why it was a must have option?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Can you explain the Tru-Lok for those of us new to this, and why it was a must have option?
When in 4L you can hit the button and it will LOCK the 2 rear wheels together vs a LSD (Limited Slip Diff) There is some threads on here about it and also maybe on youtube better describing this.

I wanted it personally and maybe not for everyone. It depends on your needs if it warrants the $1500.

Some of these overpasses here in Houston are pretty steep:lmao:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts