Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 89 wrangler 4.2 with stock carb stalls, bucks, and backfires like crazy when accellerating. it idles great. have done nutter bypass , timing is set to 10 degrees btdc, new plugs , wires, dist cap, rotor, fuel pump and filter. i have removed cat and muffler and replaced accelerator pump and gaskets on carb. any ideas or suggestions. thanks in advance

·
Registered
600 Posts
Mileage on engine? Is 10• the correct timing for that engine? I would've guessed accelerator pump, possible the carb needs a good clean..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont know actual mileage on engine, but fairly high. i dont know exacly the correct timing after nutter. factory calls for 9 degrees btdc. i have cleaned the carb more than once to no effect.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Had same problem with my carter carb. It would idle fine, rev up perfect. Put in gear and it would cough, spit and sputter. Tried a rebuild with no luck. Ended up with a MC2100 swap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah thats what im thinking but kinda limited on extra money right now. just tryin to cover all bases on what ihave. did the swap fix your problems?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Check the 1/8" setting on the needles in the carb, sounds like your too lean .

·
Registered
138 Posts
solved my problems. got mine out of a junk yard & rebuilt myself. adapter plate from summit, carb kit and air filter form advance. about $110 total.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I ment on the stepper motor, when you did the nutter by-pass you should have set them out about 1/8 the best i remember. go over the nutter by-pass instructions, they say how to set it. good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok wil do. i had extended them out as far as they would go. probably too far huh? i'll give the instructions another look. thanks for the help

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
solved my problems. got mine out of a junk yard & rebuilt myself. adapter plate from summit, carb kit and air filter form advance. about $110 total.
i may have to check into that then. sounds like a cheap enough fix for a major headache. thank you for the help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cant find anything about 1/8 on needles in carb. just says to remove stepper motor and fully extend needles and replace motor. did i miss something somewhere?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Let me look it up again, I'll get back, O and good morning!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nubby , i thank you very much for your help. i will sure be doing some changing. i had only seen john nutter's version before. anyway, have a good day, and thanks again.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts